Sources For Shim Material....?

Crow Horse

Registered
Registered
I'm practicing turing grooves in aluminum with a rear mounted parting tool. As mounted, it's not perfectly on center and I need to shim the holder. What's a good economical source shim material. My first thought was to purchase an inexpensive feeler gauge and use the appropriate blade as a shim. Is there a better material to use?

the feeler gauge set is what i used too.
i bought a set for that purpose, due to the precise nature

You can also use paper and thin cardboard- sounds hokey but it works, and prevents slippage
Can't beat the price :)
-M
I keep a pack of Bugler cigarette paper around it's 0.001" thick

I buy plastic shim stock. It comes in a package for about 30.00
Roughly 5 x18 inches it cuts cleanly and easily with scissors.16250724791964759356766148469140.jpg

Last edited:
McMaster sells individual feeler gauges 1/2"x 12" long in increments from .0005" to .060". The thinner ones up to .035" sell for less than $2.00 ea. They also have metric sizes from .04mm to 1 mm. If you visit surplus machine dealers you can usually find roll stock from 2" wide to over 12" wide. I purchased several boxes of 6" wide stock from .0005" to .030" for about $5.00 per box.

I used to get a lot of calls from clients looking for stuff. I'd always ask if they'd checked the "big yellow book", the purchasing agent's bible.....

I still have a paper copy, great to browse in the "reading room"

Most any decent hardware store or hobby shop sells K&S brass stuff for hobbyists. Along with small rods, sheets and tubing they offer a brass shim stock assortment. Over the years I've bought a couple assortment packs that way. It's widely available online but you may prefer to support local businesses when you can.

The same hobby shop probably sells polystyrene sheets in varying thicknesses that can be used if you need something thicker.

Back