Sorry, another drum switch question

wglogowski

Registered
Registered
I looked at many, many of the drum switch posts, and I mapped out in color of the wires in my motor to the drum switch... I want to reverse an old drill press. The motor is non-descript; I only know that it is a 3/4 hp single-phase induction motor. It is wired to 110V. The drill press has two switches, one for a light and one to start the motor, which uses a capacitor. I tried my wiring diagram, and I can turn the light on, and the breaker does not trip, but when I turn the motor switch on, even with the drum switch in the off position, the breaker trips. I have attached three images. One of the schematics on the inside of the wire box cover a picture of the wires inside the wire box; I have labeled them with the corresponding numbers that are on the wires and my color-coded wiring diagram. The red wire from the switch goes to wires #1 & 3. The Black wire goes to wires #2 & 4, so I thought I needed to reverse the red and black from the switch to reverse the motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DrumSwitch.png
    DrumSwitch.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2304.jpeg
    IMG_2304.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 8
You need 4 wires from motor to switch in order to reverse it, for the 120 volt configuration, with a drum switch.
However, it doesn't look as though the start leg wires are brought out separately on your motor, so you may be
dead in the water.
You would need to open up the motor to identify the start leg and disconnect it so it can
be brought out- this might be easy or difficult- hard to say
Why do you need to reverse your drill press?

Last edited:
Thank you, I guess I'll just rewire it the way I found it. I was going to use it, so I could tap relatively thin aluminum 1/4"

Yeah, that one wasn't meant to be easily reversed
Power tapping isn't easy with that style of motor anyhow, even if you could reverse it

Back