Sometimes I don’t feel like making things

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
I know, blasphemous words here, but don’t get me wrong. I love making my guitar hardware parts. However, with my new 12x36 lathe I’ve found there’s no commercial ball turners for it. So now I’m making one. PITA.
It’s going to be the QCTP attached type. I’m now milling out the cavity for the QCTP holder.

Attachments

• 762235A8-DA50-45E5-AC62-2C1E38A59BF8.jpeg
    762235A8-DA50-45E5-AC62-2C1E38A59BF8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
At least you're doing it. More than once, I've went ahead and spent the time searching for a purchased solution.

At least you're doing it. More than once, I've went ahead and spent the time searching for a purchased solution.
Yeah but what a PITA. I bought a set if dovetail cutters so that I could make the angle cuts for the QCTP holder. I hogged out the middle section so that only the angle cuts meed to be made, but now I’m wondering if these cutter are only for wood. The cutter is so loud and I’m barely making chips, more like dust. Argh

You know what I did? I carried my dovetail cutter to my friendly tool and die maker at work, along with the part needing dovetails, and offered him the opportunity to prove his mettle. Ha!
Actually I just said "this part is 10.5" long, will you please use your real mill with power feed to cut these dovetails for me?"
Thank goodness, because if he had declined I'd probably still be staring at that part every time I opened the cabinet I was hiding it in.

I fix machine tools and other machinery every day.
There are days I just want to tell the know it all owner/maintenance man to "Just fix it then,what do you need me for? To hold your hand?
YES, There are days I Don't want to fix anything!
Occasionally I feel like having machining as a hobby as well is just f.... dumb. I am gonna sell all this old shirt.
But, I love to fix things. I Love creating solutions and performing them, I guess you will just have those days.....

Did I mention? There are days I DON'T WANT TO FIX ANYTHING!
lol enjoy your hobby as much or little as you like! An idea might pop in your head and you will be off and creating.

Did I mention? There are days I DON'T WANT TO FIX ANYTHING!
lol enjoy your hobby as much or little as you like! An idea might pop in your head and you will be off and creating.
I hear you. Fixing things around the house is what I hate as I'm good at it and everybody wants me to help do it in some way. Any type of carpentry is easy for me. Regarding the ball turning attachment, I really don't mind making it, it is me machining afterall, but it's more that I just need to be using the ball turner NOW, not days from now after I've made the jig. I think that's what's most annoying.

I have started taking a day a week and calling it “infrastructure day”. No projects , unless they improve my processes, organize my shop, “sharpen the saw”, those kinds of things. So “fixing” is a significant part of my time now and I don’t worry about time away from projects. Seems to work.

My issue having been laid up with some health challenges is that well meaning help has volunteered to cover the hay season here at the farm. I love everyone of them and am humbled that they would take the time to help, however farm equipment simply can't be driven like "speed racer" at Indy. The Wham, Bam, Slam is almost always followed by "CLANK"
my "infrastructure day" list is approaching the "just call the auctioneer day"

Back