Something A Little Heavier Than Bridgeport Style Mill

Like chipper said there is nothing wrong with an import machine. Every machine I own is an import. Unless you find a deal on a k&t 2hl mill with the vertical head. I've heard of some people picking them up for less than 1k. I think a bigger import knee mill will suit your needs just fine.

Daryl said it best. Think what you need or want as far as features. My self never have seen a milling machine operate , I bought a gorton 9-j. Power feed on all axis, 5 hp , heavy , old taper b&s #10 but can be found.
Mill with a Colette adapter. 800.00 priceless. Wouldn't take twice that for it.
Thanks Ron.
Ps. Check your top rpm , if your going to be using small end mills

Thanks for the replies. I have a Bridgeport for the small stuff but want something a little bigger and prefer the older machines. Y'all have given me several machines to consider.
Had the BP for awhile and found a lathe about a month ago. Reading and learning from the threads I have several projects that I will try.

I too am a bigger is better kinda guy. Have a coupla KTs, they move a lot of metal, and I have a Bridgeport series II. When I got the KT's I though I might sell the Bridgeport but I've found that they are different machines and do different work quickly. The KT vertical is a 310 S15. 10000 lbs, very rigid and very accurate. Moves a lot of metal. Need a sign plate to do some of the work the BP will Do. I've done some machining inside of transmission bell housings. Hung them off the side of the table on the BP turned the turret to center over the bell housing to center and performed the work. Cant think of a way to have done the job with the KT. Could have performed the job on a horizontal machine. There are certainly bigger machines than BP's that have the versatility, and bigger is stronger, but that style machine, with the tilting, nodding, head and the rotating turret, makes a very versatile machine. I have also seen machines that have both a horizontal, and a vertical spindle, those machines are also very versatile. A horizontal machine with a vertical cutting attachment is another way to go. So depending on floor space, anticipated types of work, a Bp type machine is a lot of bang for the $. And tooling is every where.

Tim

I have a pacific universal, which from all my research is a lagun rebadged. 3rd of the price. Spanish made. Might be another one to look out for

Back