Something A Little Heavier Than Bridgeport Style Mill

taltexan

Registered
Registered
looking for something between the Bridgeport and the large Cin. mills. Suggestions

Vertical and Horizontal capability? Ala, Van Norman?
Table size?
Window between table and spindle?
Drill press action on the spindle?
Weight limits?
Power feeds?
HP?
Likely going to be 3ph.
Any particular collet or taper on the spindle?

Daryl
MN

Smaller Van Norman would be ok. Universal or vertical
12x60 max
Nothing specific
No drill press action
5000 lbs
PF yes
3 hp or better
Most common tool holder

:+1: what Daryl said!

If you are looking for a knee mill, the V-4 class machines are about 1/3 larger than a BP. Normally weigh in at around 3500#, 3 to 5HP motor, and a 10x54 table. Spindle taper could be R-8, #30, or #40 depending on the machine. A lot of these machines were also built as CNC machines by different vendors.

Here is a manual machine kind of close to you. https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/tls/5572366781.html

Look for a later Van Norman 22L (22LU is even better) 50 taper spindle, "around" 5000 lbs, separate spindle and feed motors. Pretty darn rigid.
3hp spindle motor and 1-1/2hp for the feed motor. Feeds on all three axes.

Mike

I've got a Seiki xl 3hp variable speed 10x50 table 30 taper. It's a pretty solid machine. Weight is approximately 3400lbs so the manual says. I picked mine up pretty cheap but I've seen them around for a reasonable amount.

Unless you have deep pockets - forget about the brand names. Decide for yourself the features you need / want (be able to answer Daryl's questions). Get your cash and transport ready. When the right machine shows up, move quick.

Back