Somebody got lucky...

Last year a mechanic here forgot to tuck his beard into his shirt, and the jack shaft of the fork lift he was working on wrapped him up. DOA

I don't think he finished his sentence..... "Oh s h ! t"..... :(

He got lucky indeed!

I order a paddle switch for my lathe... At least it is something until I can install an Emergency Stop Switch...

View attachment 379274
if that's just a plain switch, it's just ok. You want a magnetic switch, so if the power goes out, it disables as well.
That way when the power comes back on it doesn't start up on it's own..

that would be the best of all worlds.

Another would be a footpedal brake.. been trying to figure out how to fit one to my SB9... so it wouldn't interfere with anything... Think I have to attach it to the drive shaft, not the spindle.

He got lucky indeed!

I order a paddle switch for my lathe... At least it is something until I can install an Emergency Stop Switch...

View attachment 379274
The switch pictured looks very similar to one I got from Grizzly a while back. Mine without enclosures though. If it is magnetic, which I'm pretty sure it is, it alone will serve as a good E-stop switch. The ON/OFF function on such a switch has contacts that operate a small internal relay. That relay requires manual restarting, so you don't get blindsided when the power comes back up.

I have one mounted on an older table saw with very good results. Since I ordered several of them, it looks like a good addition to my small lathe as well.

Wow Guys! A magnetic paddle switch is a great idea. My old South Bend Heavy 10 lathe has no safety features at all. It currently only has a Forward-OFF-Reverse switch. I had been thinking, how can I put in a safety E-stop in my South Bend, but a magnetic one is better.

I recently converted my 3ph PM1440GT lathe to VFD, 1ph. It now has these safety features and more, but I did it electronically --- not mechanical relays. Also, the original 3ph electronics had power, estop, and foot brake switch which prevented the lathe from turning on upon power restoration. To do this it used a latching relay to control the main power relays. i.e. you had to latch it on via the first time the spindle was activated, and then it keep everything powered up by rerouting current to hold the latching relays required current to itself. A neat, but old trick. If you want to see my new circuits or you want to see how the original version was wired, I posted them both. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...tronic-components-pm1440gt-vfd-3-phase.95058/

The switch pictured looks very similar to one I got from Grizzly a while back. Mine without enclosures though. If it is magnetic, which I'm pretty sure it is, it alone will serve as a good E-stop switch. The ON/OFF function on such a switch has contacts that operate a small internal relay. That relay requires manual restarting, so you don't get blindsided when the power comes back up.

I have one mounted on an older table saw with very good results. Since I ordered several of them, it looks like a good addition to my small lathe as well.

Thank you for calling that out. I checked and it is a magnetic switch. 16amps so good for the motor I have. Woohooo!!

I'll look for that shirt in our rags next week in here at work . :)

Back