Some Sort Of Hanging Pulley/sheave From An Old Barn

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It is a bronze casting and the lock lever is spring loaded to hold on to a 1/2" or less flange or whatever.

What is it called?

hanging pulley.jpg

The handle on the right looks like it's designed to snap onto something like a carabiner clip would. Maybe for lifting feedbags?

Sort of. The handle opens the throat by lifting the wedge shaped part out of the way. A pulley clamp has yielded may pictures of items that could be used the same way.
Pierre

I have to say that upon first read of the title of your thread, Pierre.......horse thieves and cattle rustlers came to mind immediately.;)

Can't say I have ever seen anything quite like it, so I can't help ID it.

It is a bronze casting and the lock lever is spring loaded to hold on to a 1/2" or less flange or whatever.

What is it called?

View attachment 136254
Probably part of a system for handling loose hay. A huge claw hung from a track at the peak of the barn. The track was cantilevered out the top of the hay door at one end of the barn. You ran the claw out to the end of the cantilever, dropped it into the hay on a wagon, closed it, lifted it and its load of hay up, ran it back into the barn, and tripped the catch to drop the hay inside. That looks like part of the mechanism for releasing the claw.

The angle would be wrong as the hook end is not lined up with the center of the pulley. You would have to pull the lever end towards you enough to rotate the hook so that it could release. There is no wear on the handle but I do not know if it was not used much or not.

reminds me of something for hanging a carcass in a slaughterhouse.....except for it being bronze.....hmmmm
-brino

Coming from an old barn, it looks like it could be some sort of rope brake from when they moved loose hay in the haymow.

i can't tell by the scale , but i think it is a clothesline pulley

Back