Some recent work

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
New guy here...hobby knifemaker who just got a lathe. Now I'm really dangerous!:lmao:

Some of my blades...

DSC03345.jpg
DSC02114.jpg
DSC01757.JPG

My personal light hunter:
IMG_0641_edited.jpg
and of course, my shop helper:
DSC01066-1-1.jpg

I use a lot of 154CM and its cousins, and pretty much have stuck to fixed blade kitchen and hunting type knives thus far. I have taken my own trees from standing live to sawmill to solar kiln dried. That is not a project for the weak kneed or impatient! I'm no expert knifemaker by far, but I have a lot of fun and the few I sell get good reviews...so the buyers seem happy!

My primary machine for shaping blades and handles is my 6" Coote 2x72 belt grinder with a 1Hp motor.

P4020025.jpg

See y'all around!

DSC03345.jpg DSC02114.jpg DSC01066-1-1.jpg P4020025.jpg IMG_0641_edited.jpg DSC01757.JPG

very nice work. what is the cost of one of your knives?

The cost varies widely. For someone wanting something simple (I make a lot of fillet blades for locals using local mesquite wood like this) I can buy pre-shaped and heat treated (imported mostly) blades, clean them up, and install a customer requested handle wood for around $100. For very simple full custom blades I grind from simple high carbon steel barstock, it is hard to stay under $200. High grades of steel, handle material, fancy workmanship, etc. ramp the price up fast. For example, pattern welded (so called 'damascus' steel) barstock can run $20-$50 per INCH depending on the materials, patterns, etc. and rare handle materials (elephant tusk ivory, for example) can also add major cost.

The ironwood ATS-34 big hunter in the top picture sold for $350 a year ago. The ATS-34 kitchen boning knife with stabilized box elder burl was a trade for about $250 worth of gunsmithing. The simple mesquite hunter was O-1 tool steel and went for $200 to a friend 3+ years ago. The one my eldest kid is holding is CPM 154CM steel with stabilized maple burl is also $350.

In the end my time comes out to be just about free, but I get to buy new tools and learn new skills!

I've also got a Coote grinder that I use for the bevels on my bolsters. I use a b3 Bader for roughing and a KMG variable speed for the delicate work.
The Coote is a good machine.

Back