some Qs on possible oxyac purchase

SE18

Active User
Registered
I'm looking at this set:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_98353-1703-...rentURL=?Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&facetInfo=

I believe HD carries identical set for identical price.

Been on Craigslist too but whenever I call, I find such and such a unit was already snapped up. Things go fast there if they're a bargain.

So my question is, the Lowes Lincoln set in the link doesn't list which tips you get and how easy it is to find tips that are compatible with their setup.

I know the bottles are smallish, but this would help with portability if I need to take it somewhere to cut up (safe) scraps.

Be interested to hear what you think. I've got my heart set on oxyacy after seeing the neat stuff you can do with these units (some guys have used theirs to make sculptures even)

DaveV

According to the Lowe's q&a, it uses Harris flat based tips. I have an old Sears torch that uses them, and I have converted some spare Victor tips to fit it, but I'm sure any LWS would have something to fit it. Or you could easily mod something to fit. I'd just be cautious about it's cutting capacity. 1" even with that gas bottle is asking a lot. My brother bought one of those a few years ago, and I've used it for plumbing/AC work a time or two and it seems to be OK. But for a shop unit, it might be a bit light.

My local Lowes carries that kit and I looked at it out of curiosity. It appears to be a Harris torch (or one darn good knock-off). The HF torches (which is what I have) are Harris knock-offs but not quite as good as this Lowes unit. For the amount of torch work I do, it's fine. As for the Lowes unit, I wasn't totally impressed with gauges and felt the HF were much better. The gauges on this one were all plastic lenses with no metal border.

Still though, a good setup and the price was decent.

Ray

As a welder I highly recommend the Victor Jr. Set. Have you checked with your local weld supply store. Ask them if they can set you up with some used or reconditioned stuff. I don't know if they would do it for a non tradesmen due to liability.Check out Amazon for torch sets also . Most all torches will work for home use. What you will find is the little tiny cylinders don't last very long. Can't go wrong with Victor and try to get as big a cyl as you can. I have a little baby set up and love it. But I have extra cylinders for both gasses. They will ALWAYS run out just after the store closes. I pick up most of my cylinders from garage sales.
Hope I have giving you something useful.
Dan

Master of unfinished projects

The torch set is the easy part, tanks are the difficult part. I don't know of any place around south east VA that will fill your tanks unless you bought them from their company and all tanks must be hydro tested every 4-5 years. Lots of people buy tanks at HF just to find out that no one will fill them. We have a new Tractor supply in town and it looks like they offer a tank exchange so if you have one close it's worth a look.

Dave, I am NOT a welder so I yield to Dan's advice. Just let me add a torch option to consider: http://www.tinmantech.com/html/meco_midget_torch.php

This little torch is the best I have found for gas welding projects. Small, light, very precise control and it doesn't get hot in the hand. Tin Man carries a light weight hose set that goes well with this torch; the torch is only about 1/2# in your hand with this hose set. It will weld thin sheet on up to 1/4" steel so it is suitable for most home shop stuff. The Meco Midget is highly regarded and would work well with that small set up you're looking at.

Personally, I would forgo that set and look for tanks on CL and buy the Meco.

I don't think that anywhere will fill your tanks. Unless you live next to a main fill plant. cylinders are just exchanged by the local weld store. It's up to the fill plant to do the certification,not the weld shops problem. I've had tanks go by with certification dates to 1939. Tripletap3 is correct with the certification, cylinders just don't wear out but the valves do. There are two kinds of cylinders(which are identical except for the stamp) owner bottles and rental bottles. Owner bottles are yours to buy sell trade whatever. Rental bottles are what you may have in a pro weld shop. Where they may just pay for the gasses. The cylinders are free to use if they use enough gas. All depends on the contract. Our fab shop owns our cylinders so that we can exchange them any place that does it. (Like owner cylinders ). Rental cylinders can only go to the company where you rented it unless there not paying attention then they will exchange it for a owner cylinder. But you didn't hear that from me. If its there cylinder, they will most likely confiscate it as stolen .
The HF cylinders my just not meet any codes I don't know .Owner cylinders usually won't say owner on it but most rental cylinders will have a company name stamped on it. Hope this helps.
Dan

Master of unfinished projects

I agree with Physcodan. Can't go wrong with Victor. More expensive but the best quality. I believe they furnish the safety tips or regulator that automatically shuts down in case of flashback (boom) If you try cutting 1" inch it better be very short cut. Yep they (gas depots) won't fill many tanks and definitely won't fill a out of date one. they are expensive to have pressure checked unless you are doing a lot of torch work, then you lease them.
dickr

Back