some help with tool identification, some kind of tapping head

eweissman

Registered
Registered
so i found a few things at the flea market today that i figured i might be able to use with my lathe.
one kinda confounds me a little. it is called an "apex a-fric. chuck". it has a morse 2 taper on one end,
and uses a sort of collet which appears to serve to hold square ended 3/8 taps or reamers.

photo (74).JPGphoto (73).JPG

however, it appears that maybe the manufacturer intended for it to only work with a specially manufactured
tap with a groove machined into its shank, as it has a little spring loaded ball bearing thing inside that prevents
a tap from being inserted all the way when the collet is installed....? maybe so you would only buy their taps?
maybe so that when you are tapping the tap wont pull out? kinda seems like it would be very useful for tapping
with the tailstock despite this little detail. i used to use a kinda similar quick change system to this on a radial drill
i ran at a machine shop i worked at, but i dont understand why it would not be designed to work with standard taps?

just wondering it was familiar to anyone.

it came along with a set of eclipse twist-lock holders an a bunch of counter-bore end mills.
photo (75).JPG
figured those might be useful for boring flat bottomed holes on the lathe.
didnt even notice what the tapping head thing was until i got home. didnt seem too bad for 40 bucks including
38 counterbores in various sizes. wish i had noticed the tapping head cause i think the fellow selling had more of the
collets for it... will have to go back next week and see if they are still there.
-eian

photo (74).JPG photo (73).JPG photo (75).JPG

Last edited:
Back