Some Hand-me-down Drill Bits

Those are some serious drill bits.
What are you turning them with? You must have good low-speed control to make the best use of them.

-brino

The heck with the twist drills. I'm more impressed by that very nice custom storage tray. :aok:

OK, the twist dills are useful too.

Great storage box!!

Caution: these things tend to breed. You'll open the box in a few weeks and there will be more. Soon they will be all over the shop. Remember Tribbles? http://www.mojvideo.com/video-star-...th-tribbles-20-15-apr-24/8410599766d89eba8f1d

Gonna have to add on to the shop. Warn your wife, mention the curse of the MT4 that you FIL passed on to you.
This is a great way to add a small extension on to the shop. Start small, maybe 20x30.
Knowing that all this happened on account of your FIL will make your wife fully supportive.

Daryl
MN

^ yep. I used a 2 1/2" one today. Just remember, when drilling soft metals don't step drill.

^ yep. I used a 2 1/2" one today. Just remember, when drilling soft metals don't step drill.
This like many things is new to me. Could you explain it to me with some more detail and/or better yet pics?
The scenario is to bore this 6065 to 1.5", after center drilling, I should have just gone straight to the 1 15/32"? Then do you peck a lot to break chips or how do you deal with that massive curly chip?

What I generally do when I have to drill a large hole on the lathe or even on the mill, I'll drill a small hole, say 3/16" first to the depth needed or as deep as there is flutes. Then drill with the larger diameter bit next. Very seldom step drill other than this. Step drill only if HP is an issue, like on my 9" SBL, then I'll step drill.

What 4gsr wrote.
Also, the initial hole should be large enough to clear the webbing of your larger drill.

Daryl
MN

Pardon my ignorance, but why not intermediate steps, just a waste of time, or is there a negative effect on the part?

Back