Some fascinating history

I wonder what I would have been doing back in the 1800s. I can see myself as a blacksmith. I would like to see myself as a gun slinger, but I really don't like to fight so, probably a black smith.

Thanks for the link. :)
M Dad was born in 1900, and I think his first car was a used Model T. He was around before the first powered airplane flew at Kittyhawk, but I guess there was too much he did not want to speak about.

Here, we have that someone thoughtfully took the opportunity to record interviews from these senior citizens while they were still around. There was enough photographic technology around in the latter half of 19th century to give us some great photographs from those times, but here we have folk talking about their life in the 1800's, captured using 1930's technology.

I grew up in the 50's hearing tales of Dad's experiences working heavy construction on steel mills and later on the construction of the locks and dams on the upper Mississippi.

Dad was born in 1895 in Germany and came to the US 1896 along with his parents and one older brother. They settled in eastern Iowa.

At that time, so I understand, one had to have a sponsor that would vouch for you and assure that you had a place to settle in order to immigrate to the US.
Oh, how I wish I could once again hear those stories.

We did get a chance to video my Mother talking about her upbringing as a child, she was born in the US in 1901.

Back