Some days are just not your day..

Yesterday was again, not my day. Blade guard with riving knife is on order. I had a good 20 year run, but it's time to be smarter evidently. I'll say my luck hasn't run out yet, because I walked away with all my fingers. But the saw is out of commission until the safety gear is attached. The red hand I drew would have been on the opposite face of the board of course, but my goodness that was the scariest (and fastest) thing that's ever happened with a power tool.
been there a few times. It can do some serious damage.
I don't use a guard. I just find it too difficult to set my lines. I do use a splitter.

But even that didn't help once. My son was home from school and wanted to make something to bring back.
I was helping, but letting him do the work. All of a sudden he was having problems ripping something. I shut down the saw.
I started it back up after taking over only to find it was binding again. What I didn't know was that he moved the fence with the lock engaged. He had forced it and done some damage to the mechanism. We bent a forrest woodworker blade and had a fence part to replace. That day it could have been and a person to repair or bury. we lucked out on that one.

BTW a leather apron is always a great idea. While it won't prevent you from getting speared, it can try. it also blunts any flying objects.
And if you ever feel it grabbing, I recommend holding it down tight and not letting it go...

All I wanted to do was to put a 1/4" square on the end of this 5/8" drill rod. One broken carbide endmill later....I go inside. Numbers, numbers, dancing in my head!!! Today is not my day. Lol
Try this - a complete square on the end of a rod without moving the part, in one minute.

- a complete square on the end of a rod without moving the part, in one minute.
I'd have to brush up on my G code, but after that, it's just loading the part and turning on the camera. Lol

a leather apron is always a great idea.
That was the second question my wife asked.~"Why no apron?"
I have reservations about the guard myself. But I'm going to exhaust all efforts at using it. Losing my fingers would significantly affect my ability to earn income. And I've hopefully got a lot of that left to earn. Lol

That was the second question my wife asked.~"Why no apron?"
I have reservations about the guard myself. But I'm going to exhaust all efforts at using it. Losing my fingers would significantly affect my ability to earn income. And I've hopefully got a lot of that left to earn. Lol
I've wanted a Saw Stop for a long time. I would get the 3hp industrial. The wife keeps putting the kibash on that. I figure my fingers are worth it.

The guard may not help as much as the riving knife. I think a riving knife that stays with the blade is a worthwhile improvement.
I bought my son a BT3000 Ryobi off craigslist. it has a sliding table and a riving knife.

I've wanted a Saw Stop for a long time. I would get the 3hp industrial. The wife keeps putting the kibash on that. I figure my fingers are worth it.

The guard may not help as much as the riving knife. I think a riving knife that stays with the blade is a worthwhile improvement.
I bought my son a BT3000 Ryobi off craigslist. it has a sliding table and a riving knife.
I'm very pleased with the Sharkguard I added to my Unisaw. Granted it doesn't have a riving knife that moves with the blade but it's a far sight better than no knife.

Last edited:
I don't see a Sawstop in my future. I actually think my wife would allow it without question, but I guess I'm just too cheap? Idk. It seems like a no brainer really. I don't have a good reason.

I'm a fan of a riving knife. Have one on my current saw, acquired 3-4 years ago. When I was a teen, my father was using a unisaw and had it throw a 24"x24" piece of black walnut 15 feet across the shop and through a piece of pegboard. It brushed his side on the way, left a permanent scar on him, and left me with a whole new respect for table saws. I've owned one or another since I was 24ish. But they are definitely something to respect.

Back