Some days are just not your day..

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
All I wanted to do was to put a 1/4" square on the end of this 5/8" drill rod. One broken carbide endmill later....I go inside. Numbers, numbers, dancing in my head!!! Today is not my day. Lol

Attachments

• 37FD9FC9-48E5-486E-92D1-B47F0DA5EEF9.jpeg
    37FD9FC9-48E5-486E-92D1-B47F0DA5EEF9.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 220
:blowup:I hate it when that happens . :big grin:

Thanks! I should take a picture of the first chuck wrench I ever made. I had to use it yesterday and I quickly realized I've made some definite skill improvements since then.

Perfect save.
My bad memory saved me yesterday.
Using a small centre drill in the end of some precision ground 8mm stainless rod when the end broke off.
No worries, got a small carbide router bit so a quick drill out.
Nope, went off sideways, damn, this rod is the exact length I need and I have no more, I'm stuffed.
Wait, I was supposed to be cutting this rod to size not drilling yet, saved, cut off the 12mm spare and started again.
Sometimes a **** poor memory is a life saver.

Yesterday was again, not my day. Blade guard with riving knife is on order. I had a good 20 year run, but it's time to be smarter evidently. I'll say my luck hasn't run out yet, because I walked away with all my fingers. But the saw is out of commission until the safety gear is attached. The red hand I drew would have been on the opposite face of the board of course, but my goodness that was the scariest (and fastest) thing that's ever happened with a power tool.

Attachments

• A2A91AAB-1CAB-4D54-9F27-7A1667EB1078.jpeg
    A2A91AAB-1CAB-4D54-9F27-7A1667EB1078.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 7329AD59-9280-4B59-843C-EE135EEAD328.jpeg
    7329AD59-9280-4B59-843C-EE135EEAD328.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 66
I too had to leave the shop in humiliation today. I was making what I think will be a handy lathe tool tray and needed two L shaped aluminum pieces. I made one just the way I wanted, and milled the next block to exact height and width, and I mean exact, I’m trying to get better at precision. Then, because I am still inordinately pleased over my new vertical bandsaw, used it to cut out the excess to form the L shape. I was cutting away, admiring the speed and accuracy of the cut, and completely cut off the leg of the L. Argggh, time to quit.

Yesterday was again, not my day. Blade guard with riving knife is on order. I had a good 20 year run, but it's time to be smarter evidently. I'll say my luck hasn't run out yet, because I walked away with all my fingers. But the saw is out of commission until the safety gear is attached. The red hand I drew would have been on the opposite face of the board of course, but my goodness that was the scariest (and fastest) thing that's ever happened with a power tool.
I had exactly the same experience with my Unisaw. Came away unscathed thank goodness but bought a Sharkguard the next day.

Back