Soild state phase converter has anybody used one on a Bridgeport

bobdog

Registered
Registered
Looking at a soild state phase converter for powering my 2J head bridgeport with 1 1/2 horsepower 3 phase motor. Has anybody used one . They sell them at H&W Bridgeport rebuilding company . They are all soild state and are only $ 80.00. They said it works for single phase to 3 phase. Any opinions ? Or anybody who have used one. Was going VFD but have a vari speed head dont need anything but 1 phase to 3 phase... Thanks

Haven't used one on a mill but I have one converting single phase 240V to 3 phase 240V (UK, not USA) which powers a 3 phase 3hp motor on my Harrison M300 lathe. Works a treat. Any switching needs to be rearranged though - generally the solid state converters don't like switches between the load and the converter. Input single phase goes straight into the converter & use the low voltage control signals to turn the motor on/off or reverse.

Rob

Are they drives that output 3 phase AC from single Phase AC input like a VFD but without all of the bells and whistles?

The price seems reasonable. If you can live without the variable speed of a VFD, then sounds like a good plan. Having said that, even though I had a veri-drive on my mill, I still found the variable speed function of the VFD useful. It was easier to turn a knob than to crank a handle. ;)

The "solid state" (Phase-a-Matic) style converters work but they derate the horsepower of the motor by a third, so if you have a 1 ½ hp motor it will only produce 1 hp. A VFD will give you full power and speed control for only a few dollars more.

It's still just a static converter but has solid state relays rather than mechanical relays. Yes you would still only get 2/3 of the power.

as a suggestion,
if you are going to use this type of phase converter you may want to install a momentary switch on the generated leg.
otherwise the converters potential relay will be called to work every time the voltage dips. this will shorten the life of the converter.

I've got a TECO VFD on my Bridgeport Series 1 J-head.

Works famously.

You can't use the big motor reversing drum switch with a VFD however. Wire up the control panel as recommended for reversing, variable speed, emergency stop, etc.

I have 3 machines in the shop running off static phase converters. A 1 1/2 hp Bridgeport mill (J2J variable speed head), a 2hp Sheldon Lathe, and a 1 hp Racine power hacksaw. The Bridgeport has a 20 year old 1 - 3 hp HD Phase A Matic. The other machines have American Rotary Phase Converter brand 1/2 - 3 hp solid state converters. All the machines are worked hard and none suffers from lack of power.

As mentioned when using a static converter the horsepower is roughly 2/3 the rated motor hp. The 3rd phase is only generated on startup, so essentially the motor runs on single phase once it's started.

I would suggest going with the American Rotary 1/2 - 3 hp model. They sell for $65.00 with free shipping from the companys eBay store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Sm...692360?hash=item5679811dc8:g:CAwAAOSwVm5Y~oYa

If you use a phase converter the original machine controls can be used. If you go to a VFD the original controls may need to be disconnected. Alll motor functions (forward, Reverse, and speed changes) need to be done through the VFD

If you use a phase converter the original machine controls can be used. If you go to a VFD the original controls may need to be disconnected. Alll motor functions (forward, Reverse, and speed changes) need to be done through the VFD
It is quite possible to rewire and use the existing drum switch to control the VFD spindle on/off function. It will be major overkill for the tiny current being controlled, but it is already installed on the machine and can be put back to work after the VFD installation.

Back