SOFT METAL???

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
so Ive made some neat things from 6061 bar also been sucsessful at some metric tap and die things and am now wanting to do some nuts from HEX stock
and have check on prices for 6061. which was not cheap. so checked out steel hex stock which was cheaper. question is . what is the softest steel thats easy to work with?? Id really like 6061 which is easier to work with but looks like I might have to with steel. MInd you it wont be for production work simply for learning purposes

12L14, is free machining steel that is a pleasure to machine.
1214, 1215, 1144, 303 are also nice to machine, they don’t have the lead in it like 12L14

Plus 12L14 is inexpensive.

what does lead have t do with it?? ALSO can you use a parting tool on this stuff???

Last edited:
Lead in the alloy is only a small percentage, but it makes the metal much easier to machine. 12L14 is great stuff for getting started machining steel.

Yes, parting tools work fine.

My understanding is that the lead content also makes it un-weldable, if that makes a difference to you...

I've used a good bit of 12L14 and 1215... I haven't noticed a difference in machineability between the two...

-Bear

My understanding is that the lead content also makes it un-weldable, if that makes a difference to you...

I've used a good bit of 12L14 and 1215... I haven't noticed a difference in machineability between the two...

-Bear
12L14 can be welded, just not advisable due to lead toxicity
i have arc welded 12L14 to 1018 with E7018 (not that i would recommend the practice)

Back