So uhh.. what exactly did I buy?

STEMtheMachining

Registered
Registered
Long story short, I bought a lot of machine tooling off of ebay, pretty much sight unseen, largely because

a) Vintage tools are made better
b) it's a good way to get things you might need later if it has the one or two items you want. In my case, I was looking for v blocks. The B&S jewelers vise was a nice bonus.

So I bid, won (only bid), and got everything in front of me for 99 cents + shipping.

But half of this stuff I have no idea what it is.

Anyone able to help?

The first pic I have pretty well figured out.

Parallels, telescoping guage set, v blocks, and clamps. Plus two vises.

The other 3 pictures? I'm at a loss.
d62eafb708351b834dc6749c289f47af.jpg
419e9b300fa2343bf44e2a2d1878dad6.jpg
597a65385bbf31ca3b47acd9b49171b4.jpg
7a08379ee2591fa8f4d63f98aaadd693.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I see square E-Z Outs, machinist jacks (hex with bolt) and drifts for removing morse tapers from spindles. Knurled handles could be anything.
If it helps, the knurled handles have a flat milled on one side, and dimensions in 32nds of an inch.

Which are the drifts?

If it helps, the knurled handles have a flat milled on one side, and dimensions in 32nds of an inch.

Which are the drifts?

Still probably handles for something. I've seen lots of those with the "indent" machined into them to make a "stop" for a spring loaded ball. It stops it when you go too far, but allows you to remove the handle with a bit more forceful pull.

First pic also looks like you've got a reamer there. Bottom left. Couple chip hooks (without handles), some parallels and a feeler gauge set.

Last edited:

Which are the drifts?

They're the flat pieces with a taper to a point. The smaller one with the hole in the end is commercially made, the two larger ones with the curved taper are shop made. The piece between the small drift and the larger ones is from a Starrett back-pusher indicator set, intended for holding the indicator in a rocker style (lantern) tool post.

Still probably handles for something. I've seen lots of those with the "indent" machined into them to make a "stop" for a spring loaded ball. It stops it when you go too far, but allows you to remove the handle with a bit more forceful pull.

First pic also looks like you've got a reamer there. Bottom left. Couple chip hooks (without handles), some parallels and a feeler gauge set.
Yep, a .499 reamer from MR & T Co , which is longer than my entire little unimat.

I'll probably sell that since unless i chuck it in my drill, I have no ability to use it.

Thanks everyone for the help, I really like this community, and hopefully I'll be able to give back once I learn something worthwhile.

Now that you've given me the names, I can at least do some educated googling to figure out their function and if I need them or not.

I took a few better pictures of the remaining items to identify. I thought originally that the blocks were part of a gage block set, but they don't have any markings on them and they don't have any uniform side, so maybe they're just bar stock?

The pieces in the front look like some kind of shim (?) and I have no clue about the other three.

d261d545d35b4e6afe1692a41d3876c5.jpg

$15 I think.

Considering a set of even aluminum v blocks is $40, and these are a matched set of steel ones, I couldn't help but jump on it.

The rest is just bonus.

Bonus indeed. I can't find the graphic (but don't worry, you'll see it soon I'm sure): BTW, you Suck!

A belated welcome, and enjoy the forum.

Charlie

Back