So, I Have This Rather Large Chuck......

Normally, two screws like those going through the jaw indicate a 2-piece jaw. Although socket head screws are more common. If they are, you remove the screws and the portion of the jaw clear of the front of the chuck comes off. You just turn that around to switch between outside and inside (actually larger diameter versus smaller diameter but they always seem to be referred to the other way) work piece.

That is what I figured, but when I removed the screws the piece I thought should come off would not budge. Perhaps it is dirty or stuck from age....will try again today.

I can't in the photo actually see a parting line but I also can't think of what else the screws could be for. I would loosen but not remove two screws in any one of the jaws and tap both sides pretty soundly with a brass or soft face hammer.

So, I mounted the chuck and did some cleanup on a set of Volvo hubcaps for my 89 245 wagon. What a nice surprise to find use for something I assumed was not meant for my lathe! Appreciate all the good advice as always!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I have a Bison 8" chuck, with the back plate it's about 50 lbs, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to heavy for my atlas 12" commercial, it causes instant chatter. I've tried snuggling up the bearings to no improvement. I'm only out $100 bucks for the chuck which can be used for setups on the mill, so I think you lucky to be able to use the bigger chuck. I even turned the back plate with no hub to keep the weight as close to the bearings as possible.
Get some gray scotch Brite and shine that thing up a little, then tear it down and clean all the guts.

Those jaws look to be reversible. Remove the twp screws on the face of each of the jaws and they can be flipped around. You may have some rust holding them tight. I would try some penetrating oil and at least an over night soak to see if they will break free. Tap lightly with a brass hammer.
If your "small" chuck is a 4 jaw, the process is not the same. with a scroll chuck (your beast) the jaws remain in the chuck body and only the jaw caps as they are sometimes called are flipped.

Back