So I Bought A Surface Grinder ...

bosephus

Registered
Registered
and i am not sure why i bought a surface grinder ... that is not entirely true . i bought it because it was cheap , sitting outside and needed a home .

it was absolutely filthy it took 6 hours a gallon of kerosene and a box of rags to learn that it is blue !
no kidding it took 6 hours to reach the point you see in the picture .

before setting it out in the weather the previous owner stripped off pretty much anything useful .
things like on off switches and the one shot oiler . and what ever it is that makes the magnet work .

in the process of getting it clean enough to actually start to take it apart and clean it i have learned a few things

first is the ways are all in good shape i neither see or feel any wear .. everything works very smoothly just as it is supposed to .

and i know it is blue.. there is no name tag anywhere and it has a do-all magnet on it .

anyone got a clue who made it ? and what do i need to do to make the magnet do its magical magnetic thing .

oh yea ... i need to make an arbor nut and what ever else i need to hold a grinding wheel on it properly .

IMG_20160301_205340.jpg

I keep wondering if I could use one then I step in to my shop and there's no room. Dunno how much I'd use it but.....Luckily I can just use the one at the skool.

There is a whole sleeve and nut for mounting the wheel. I've seen them at flea markets, just depends on the taper on the machine. Get the spanner wrench too.

There should be a handle, usually on the front of the mag chuck, to turn it on and off.

Congrats and enjoy.

Congrats on the new toy! I know Doall made grinders so it may actually be a Doall. Sopko (sp?) makes the wheel adapters spanners and puller tools. That won't be a problem.

I have a DoAll Surface Grinder, the machine in the picture doesn't look at all like it, but my machine is from the early 70's so?

congrats on the surface grinder. Right now it would have to be almost free for me to be able to get one.
so great score to you. At least you can now tell it was blue but is that the correct color or has it been painted before.
I have been thinking about trying to find someone with a surface grinder to grind a tooling plate for me in the future.

Always glad that some one scores a machine but sad that it was partially striped.
Judging from the electrical cord going to the magnet ? I've seen magnets with a tag stating volts n amps. Usually on the end or back side.
Some electric magnets have three position switches as there's a de-mag position.

the wheel is just sitting on the arbor ,... no nut or spacers unfortunately . that should be the least of my problems though .

the magnet ... the only tag on it is the do all tag . so there is not much help there . a dumb question .... could i just use a bridge rectifier to send power to the magnet .
and at least be able to test that it works .

could i just use a bridge rectifier to send power to the magnet .

Based on the controllers I saw on Ebay, it looks like 100V (or 120V for the big magnets) is the max you would want to run. I would use a single diode in a half wave configuration, this would give you about 80V DC max, a full wave bridge rectifier would put out about 140V DC max. A 12V DC (car battery) supply would tell you if it's working, but not full holding power. My DoAll magnet has an old vacuum tube controller. That is going to get replaced with a solid state controller when I get time to work on the grinder. Not sure what the original supply puts out, so I will be making some voltage measurements when I get to that point.

Last edited:
You could use an ohmmeter to verify that the coils are good.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Back