Smithy Milling Woes

Tincamp67

Registered
Registered
I’ve been using my old AT300 a little more lately. The lathe seems to be very capable, at least as capable as I am. As a drill press, it’s a good machine. But, as a mill, it leaves much to be desired.

With the milling head at its lowest, there is still a lot of room between the quill and the top of the vice. I find myself with the quill fully, or almost fully extended to work on projects. I welded a steel plate to the front end of an old, small, milling vice, and have a vice in a vice set up to get more height off the milling table. It’s a barely workable solution.

I wondered if a riser block of some kind would work, between the table and the vice. Has anyone tried something like this? I can’t be the only one with this problem, what are the solutions you guys have come up with?

Im also getting a lot of backlash, 25+ thou worth of travel. I’m sure there is a way to adjust some of this out, but I can’t seem to find it.

Someone may have good advice for making this setup more workable. But, I suspect you'll want to start looking for a milling machine if your projects require much mill work.

This is the major weak point for combo machines. As you get further into the hobby you'll probably want dedicated machines anyway, hopefully that fits in you budget and workshop space.

John

Even a riser block made of hardwood would be better than nothing- cheap too
Backlash is pretty common on most low cost machines, I would just adapt my technique to compensate
Eventually you might consider a separate lathe and mill as mentioned above
Combo machines are easy to outgrow

I do have a South Bend 9C with a long bed. The limiting factor there is the small spindle bore. I jump to the Smithy when I need to, and that would keep from getting rid of the Smithy. A stand along mill would have to be pretty small to wedge in to a tight shop space.

I passed on an on site auction knee mill about a year ago. It was an American made Bridgeport looking machine but not a Bridgeport. Made in Conn or Mass, I can’t remember which. Had some tooling with it, just couldn’t figure out how to get it in the basement except in pieces. It sold for $400 plus 10% buyers premium then tax. Less than $500 out the door. My jaw dropped.

Alcap, that item from Smithy would do it, but damn, that’s pricey. I guess it’s not surprising that they make one.

Never thought about wood. I’ve got some small oak slabs that have been drying in the shed for a few years. I can send then through the planer and get than pretty flat and consistent. That me be the easiest d cheapest way to go.

Next time, get the knee mill and take it apart to get it into the basement.

I’ve been using my old AT300 a little more lately. The lathe seems to be very capable, at least as capable as I am. As a drill press, it’s a good machine. But, as a mill, it leaves much to be desired.

With the milling head at its lowest, there is still a lot of room between the quill and the top of the vice. I find myself with the quill fully, or almost fully extended to work on projects. I welded a steel plate to the front end of an old, small, milling vice, and have a vice in a vice set up to get more height off the milling table. It’s a barely workable solution.

I wondered if a riser block of some kind would work, between the table and the vice. Has anyone tried something like this? I can’t be the only one with this problem, what are the solutions you guys have come up with?

Im also getting a lot of backlash, 25+ thou worth of travel. I’m sure there is a way to adjust some of this out, but I can’t seem to find it.
Is the back less in the quill?

No idea how much better it could be. Im still straightening out the lathe side.
I tried some milling over the summer and to many frustrations

Last edited:
Is the back less in the quill?

No idea how much better it could be. Im still straightening out the lathe side.
I tried some milling over the summer and to many frustrations
I think I’ll attempt this tomorrow.

As for missing out on the other mill, I don’t expect that I’ll run in to that situation again any time soon. It was one of the moments after it was over, that you kick yourself. The other issue was that it had to be out of there by noon the next day. It went up for auction about 4pm. After it sold, the wife asked about why I didn’t bid and the auctioneer heard my reply, part of which was “ how do I get it on a trailer, which I would have to borrow?” The auctioneer pointed to a hoist system built in to the ceiling of the garage and said, we use that to pick it up and put it on a trailer. I got to kick myself twice that day.

Back