Smithy CB 1220 XL gears

mac1911

Registered
Registered
Ok so my gear set was set up for something, not sure what and on top of all that they had the “e” gear in there to reverse everything.
It was installed in such a way you could not adjust away from the gears to disengage it.
Now the question
There is a upper fixed main gear and a lower main gear.
Does anyone know what gear should be mounted on the lower main gear?
Also there is very little mention of the “E” reverse gear or what gear to use if or when you want to reverse the gear set.
Then even more fun that the gear chart in the owners manual does not match the sticker on the machine cover.

What the manual shows as the unit was shipped.
8126B715-8099-4458-83C3-73E1A6A4FA24.jpeg
How its currently set up

3A504795-471B-4159-B0F8-EA9AD8DC0A34.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The perils of Chineseium.
That and unknowing previous owners. Thing is running away from the chuck so unless they where running left hand thread cutting ( previous owner says no) they where running on the back side of the tool blade? Pile of junk Chinese cutters in the draw.
Anyway - trying to get this thing going Been working from right to left and up.
My only guess is the lower main gear - only one will mess with the top since they are fixed pisition.
The “E” reverse gear another guess is it will be the same as the C gear?

It should be possible to reconfigure the gears to the factory setup- if there are none missing. Do some detective work and ID the gears (number of teeth instead of just letters)
Smithy is still around (I think) if you need to order parts- they seem to support them fairly well. The Smithy is a better unit than the Shoptask.
-M
Looks like the machine has no half-nut so you won't be doing a lot of single point threading on it. Here is an overview article I found:

Last edited:
It should be possible to reconfigure the gears to the factory setup- if there are none missing. Do some detective work and ID the gears (number of teeth instead of just letters)
Smithy is still around (I think) if you need to order parts- they seem to support them fairly well. The Smithy is a better unit than the Shoptask.
-M
Looks like the machine has no half-nut so you won't be doing a lot of single point threading on it. Here is an overview article I found:
I cleaned and sorted the gears ,
I wish rhe owners manual was just a bit clear about what the lower main gear should be and more info on the reversing gear.
The previous owner definitely just put gears on until they fit.

I looked up the part
#23 C30589 per smithy web sight Nut, Half ?
There is also no thread dial on these and I would love to see someone actually do a walk through on thread cutting with this unit.

Last edited:
The article I linked to describes how to thread on it- a bit cumbersome but it can be done.
The later model apparently has half nuts but not the early one- perhaps it can be retrofitted?

The article I linked to describes how to thread on it- a bit cumbersome but it can be done.
The later model apparently has half nuts but not the early one- perhaps it can be retrofitted?
Its been fun for sure , i like that the gear charts dont match, lol
I will figure it out its just a lot easier when someones been there. Called and left a message with Smithy

Last edited:
Back