Smithy 4 jaw chuck

mac1911

Registered
Registered
Is the smithy 4 jaw chuck a decent item for hobby work ?
6” 4 jaw chuck K99-095

Not much to go wrong with a 4-jaw- the accuracy is dependent on the operator not the chuck's internal scroll mech
Surely Chinese made so functional but not high-end; no better or worse than the machine itself- made to a price point
I believe you have a special spindle mount so it's the easiest option if not the least expensive- probably fine for hobby use

Last edited:
Not much to go wrong with a 4-jaw- the accuracy is dependent on the operator not the chuck's internal scroll mech
Surely Chinese made so functional but not high-end; no better or worse than the machine itself- made to a price point
I believe you have a special spindle mount so it's the easiest option if not the least expensive- probably fine for hobby use
Yes 3 bolt hole and the “spindle flange” is all one piece.
As for cost by the time I find a hunk of stock and any other required tools to make a plate Im close to 1/3 if not half way to just buy the 4 way that fits and bolt it on.

My granite 1324 came with a smithy 4 jaw chuck (bought the machine used many years ago).
No complaints with the quality of it. I have done 2-3 barrels on it with no issues.

Im stuck in limbo, fix this one up or just work it while I have it . Then sell it if I can come across something worth while.
I do like the foot print of the 1220

Second option.

$250 is a good start on something better, at least around here.

John

Second option.

$250 is a good start on something better, at least around here.

John
Small foot print needed.
Larger machines are “easier” to come by.
If I cant get the mill portion at least useable for basic functions I may just put it up for sale.

I'd suggest picking a representative project with some scrap material to test. General consensus, and my experience, is that although the lathe portion can be made to perform the mills rarely are.

Bes of luck and let us know what you decide.

John

I'd suggest picking a representative project with some scrap material to test. General consensus, and my experience, is that although the lathe portion can be made to perform the mills rarely are.

Bes of luck and let us know what you decide.

John
Limited time no heat in building so I get a handful of weekends before its just to cold to care, lol

Back