Smithy 1220LTD

Mrsonso

Registered
Registered
I have a smithy 1220LDT. I'm working on adding CNC capabilities to it. Does anyone have a similar type of machine? Has anyone converted something like this to CNC?

Hey! I just purchased a used Smithy 1220LTD and I just finished rebuilding it. I am having a problem which I am posting soon under the title "Too strange". It seem that there are not many Smithy user in this forum, so I am glad I found you! Maybe we should start a Group called Smithy Users... Kind regards,

Hey! I just purchased a used Smithy 1220LTD and I just finished rebuilding it. I am having a problem which I am posting soon under the title "Too strange". It seem that there are not many Smithy user in this forum, so I am glad I found you! Maybe we should start a Group called Smithy Users... Kind regards,
I'm down with having a Smithy users group also, I have a Midas 1220XL I just setup, just for fun and hobby type stuff. So far so good. Still trying to stock up on tooling, etc.

I'm down with having a Smithy users group also, I have a Midas 1220XL I just setup, just for fun and hobby type stuff. So far so good. Still trying to stock up on tooling, etc.

Hi everybody, I have a Smithy 1220 too. It's about 9 yrs. old and I don't think they make this one anymore. It has the smaller table and no threading half nut. It works fine for most of what I do but the one thing that bugs me is the round column mill head. A while back I put a QCTP on it and I needed to ask some questions regarding the installation of the QCTP and the people here were great.

I use the lathe on it quite often and I think the QCTP has been the most useful addition to the Smithy 1220. The round column mill requires some careful thinking at times but I tell you when you need a mill, round column or not, it can be a life saver.

I think a Smithy Owners section would be nice, I think it would get pretty good use. I would say that there are probably quite a few owners who would use it.

LaVern
P.S. I have to also say that Kerry Ballard at Smithy was an immense help with my installation of the QCTP. I didn't purchase the QCTP from Smithy, but he responded right off the bat when I emailed him with my questions. I do think that Smithy does have great customer service.
LJS

Last edited:
I have one of the newer models a Granite 1340 with a 2 hp Variable speed motor 3-in-one. Many machinists consider this a toy, but I have found that I can do any number of tasks just like the "big boys", except just a little slower - instead of cutting off 1/4 inch, i am satisfied with 20 thou - I also find that it does great with HSS tooling but sometimes don't have the rigidity for carbide - I would like to see a Smithy group also
Remember, the one thing that I think makes Smithy GREAT is their customer service - along with Kerry, Don, Tom, and others, they have treated me VERY WELL. I started having problems with my chuck and even after a year of use, they sent a replacement ultra quick - 2 year warranty also.
Oh Mr. Moderator Sir, Please can I have another.... A Smithy Forum! Thanks millions!

I don't have a Smithy but I think you guys need to post pics of your machines as they always look kind of cool.

-Ron

I don't have a Smithy but I think you guys need to post pics of your machines as they always look kind of cool.

-Ron
Here's a couple pics of my Midas 1220XL. Had to use an engine hoist to lift it from the crate to this metal bench it sits on...Smthy Midas 1220XL purchased 2006 pic 2.jpgSmthy Midas 1220XL purchased 2006.jpg

Smthy Midas 1220XL purchased 2006.jpg Smthy Midas 1220XL purchased 2006 pic 2.jpg

Hi everybody, I have a Smithy 1220 too. It's about 9 yrs. old and I don't think they make this one anymore. It has the smaller table and no threading half nut. It works fine for most of what I do but the one thing that bugs me is the round column mill head. A while back I put a QCTP on it and I needed to ask some questions regarding the installation of the QCTP and the people here were great.

I use the lathe on it quite often and I think the QCTP has been the most useful addition to the Smithy 1220. The round column mill requires some careful thinking at times but I tell you when you need a mill, round column or not, it can be a life saver.

I think a Smithy Owners section would be nice, I think it would get pretty good use. I would say that there are probably quite a few owners who would use it.

LaVern
P.S. I have to also say that Kerry Ballard at Smithy was an immense help with my installation of the QCTP. I didn't purchase the QCTP from Smithy, but he responded right off the bat when I emailed him with my questions. I do think that Smithy does have great customer service.
LJS

You guys can set up a group (http://www.hobby-machinist.com/group.php?tabid=86&tabid=461 and hit "Create Group") or let me know and I will set up a subforum in the "Other Brands of Machinery" ( http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forumdisplay.php/42-OTHER-BRANDS-OF-MACHINERY) forum, whichever you prefer.

Back