Smithy 1220

sandho

Registered
Registered
I need help. I have a Smithy 1220, it needs repair/work. I will gladly pay someone to help me out. I live in a northern suburb of chicago.

What type of work does it need?
well first it needs the half nut replaced (I have the part), something is wrong with the lead screw, seems jammed up in the transmission. I haven't used it for a number of years, so its kind of a mess as far as alignment, calibration and lubrication. Motor works, cross slide seems OK as far as I can tell, gears are ok as are pulleys and belts. Bed is kind of knocked up, but usable. I'm a sculptor, making kinetic art so I don't need great precision, so just getting it working is probably good enough. I'd also would like to start using the mill, I've only tried it once or twice. I have the manuals, parts blow up etc...

Well, I would take stock of the broken parts and see how much it will cost- I can't see putting a lot on money into this
type of machine. If you can get some use out of it without the leadscrew that might be the way to go for now.
These machines don't hold a lot of resale value and we generally try to steer folks into separate machines when they
ask for purchasing advice.
The lathe portion is usually better than the mill portion; and you will no doubt find that changing setups between the two gets
old very fast

Back