Smithy 1220 taper

That's a lot of taper over 4". Have you attempted to level (remove twist) from lathe?
Weather is just good enough to get out to the un heated shop.
I could get a little head stock movement with the head to bed mounting bolts/wedge/pins. Although it was only in the opposite direction needed.
So its still cutting narrower near the head vs 4” (1” stock) towards the tailstock ( no tail stock support).
Tail stock is definitely off as it gets worse if I cut a piece with tall stock support.
I will get back at it today

I seems to me that you have too much stick out to get a reliable result. Deflection of the work piece will result in a larger diameter at the far end even with a light cut. If the headstock and the tailstock are both off, alignment becomes very tricky. Having said this, your current taper is not too bad. I would lock the headstock as it is and work on the tailstock alignment. You will need to buy/make a 2 collar test bar for this. Bob K (IIRC) had a good thread on this.

I seems to me that you have too much stick out to get a reliable result. Deflection of the work piece will result in a larger diameter at the far end even with a light cut. If the headstock and the tailstock are both off, alignment becomes very tricky. Having said this, your current taper is not too bad. I would lock the headstock as it is and work on the tailstock alignment. You will need to buy/make a 2 collar test bar for this. Bob K (IIRC) had a good thread on this.
Gathering material to make a test bar.

Reactions: rwm
I found Bob's instructions. Hopefully you will find this helpful.

I found Bob's instructions. Hopefully you will find this helpful.
I read through that ……im more of pictures and video guy. I get what he is doing though. Im going to do similar as I have material.
12” shaft 1” dia and going to light press and loctite 2” aluminum collars on the ends. See how that does.

Your headstock alignment test is not a bad idea, just that stock that thin will deflect. If you have larger stock, say, 2", you will get better results. Heck, you may have no taper from the headstock!
What is the spindle bore on that machine? Ideally the collars would fit inside the spindle bore.

Edit: If you are putting your centers on the bar itself and pressing the collars on as rings, it won't matter if they fit in the bore. Just don't mess up the centers when pressing.

Last edited:
Spindle bore is only 1.03”

I will be revisiting the “test bar” when it gets warmer.

For now any lathe work will be on short pieces.
E3351EC4-2DDC-4F14-9821-1169E6ED2EEF.jpeg

Back