Small V Block?

I would never spend $10.00 on something I can make for $25.00 and hours of labor.:laughing:
I'm with you brother, only $25 and days of looking for salvaged materials would be my typical cost.
If you have the capability, make it.
Dave

That looks like a very useful setup, regardless of size. Added to my ever expanding list of projects. Cheers, Mike

did you use a regular flat bottomed mill tool to do the vee and just set the work at 45 degrees and raise the knee and take cuts?

did you use a regular flat bottomed mill tool to do the vee and just set the work at 45 degrees and raise the knee and take cuts?
Essentially yes. First I roughed it undersize with a fine tooth hogger, then used this shell mill thinking (hoping?) the bottom surface might cut cleaner than a regular end mill. The side turned out ok but the bottom was a bit scratchy.

6-21-2016 0000.jpg

easymik29 - I think I like yours more! I only have one small reservation & that's maybe the threaded holes coinciding. Have you made one already?

6-21-2016 0001.jpg

Use standard very block to hold square stock at a perfect 45 degree then use standard end mill to cut out new v.

Rotating part allows for equal cutting distance from edge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I like the rotating idea, I will be trying this again. I made a small vee in plate with a bolt down plate on top to hold small material to be bandsawed

easymik29 - I think I like yours more! I only have one small reservation & that's maybe the threaded holes coinciding. Have you made one already?

The holes would actually closer to the V than in my illustration. They don't have to be very deep being as they're only 8-32 on mine. You could even stagger them if you were concerned. One pair of holes should be close to the end for holding small parts therefore you could stagger them on adjacent faces. All of your home made tooling should be tailored for your particular needs. Ideally you would make the blocks from heat treatable steel such as O-1 then be surface ground for accuracy. Even if you don't have a surface grinder I would still make the tooling from steel that can be hardened to Rc 60/62. Maybe someday you'll have that grinder.

Could someone explain the procedure for blackening for rust prevention? I think that is something I need to learn. Is this similar to using a gun blue kit?

--Chip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back