Small V Block?

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Often I find myself wanting a smaller version of the typical V block for some smallish, finicky work. The typical catalog blocks start at ~ 1.x - 1.5" in section, intending to hold say .4 - 1" round stock. Ideally I'd like something about 1/2 that scale. I have a shallow V groove ground in one of my little toolmaker vises, but its not quite the same for certain setups. I'm about to make one if I cant find anything, but thought I'd check if anyone has seen these anywhere?

ps, I've seen this system & also those round jeweler 'bench blocks, '... still not really what I'm after
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3718&category=

4-3-2016 0000.jpg

Do search for "wee blocks" instead of "vee blocks", I believe Harig makes some as well as a few others. No idea of price.

-frank

If you have a mill it would make a fun easy project.

If you have a mill it would make a fun easy project.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking too. I've done something similar making a 45-deg V cuts with an end mill. Setting up the block 45-deg is relatively straightforward. Its the EM depth & resultant centering that has me wondering. Maybe if I milled a single chunk, then cut into two same length blocks & labelled a common side which are to always remain aligned during V setup, that might mitigate the problem of milling discrepancy. Its not like these have to be within 0.0002" and I don't have hardening/grinding resources. Its more for convenience of setup. A home brew version would allow me to come up with low profile clamps mimicking the big brothers while I'm at it. I guess that's why I just assumed something like this already existed... for $10... in a wooden box.. shipped free from Asia :)

4-3-2016 0001.jpg

leave the block oversized and then cut the V to a scribed centerline. After the V is cut to a depth you want, put a pin in the V and check center with an indicator. Check both ends also to make sure you are level. Then remove the difference from the higher side to make even.

Billh50 - that's a smart idea, going to do that

SteveS - actually I also want to use these mini blocks in a smaller toolmaker vise, so the larger vee block isn't quite as handy. Thanks for the heads up though, that looks handy

My rainy day project using up some scrap HRS. I opted for a grid of simple, low profile hold-down clamps to accommodate machining different stock areas. Personally I find those tall U-clamps on standard V blocks either in the way of the quill, or not holding securely during machining. Maybe they aren't even intended to be used that way?

This is actually a jig plate for specific project. I additionally need to orientate it in mill vise at a specific angle top view, so have to figure out some matching front & rear angle blocks. It turned out not bad I guess. A surface grinder would come in handy right about now :) I'm going to blacken it just for rust protection. The V-groove was a learning experience. I set the rectangular blank up in a standard V block & used an end mill distanced off an edge for centering. As you can see, the side mill side finished nicer than the bottom mill side. So next time I should probably flip it to do both sides the same? Now that I have it, I might actually make me a set of say 3 blocks with different V groove depths so I'm equipped to hold any progressive diameter range like 2mm 5mm 10mm etc. Anyway, one of those hopefully useful homebrew tools you don't see in catalogs.

IMG_0853_edited-1.jpg IMG_0852_edited-1.jpg IMG_0851_edited-1.jpg IMG_0850_edited-1.jpg

Back