Small o.d. grinder job

These are crank pins. Don't think gage pins would work in this situation !!!!

next up is Minnestoagrinding.com at $174.60 + $287.51 + 656.52 = $1118.63
2/3 cheaper but still ridiculous. The actual grinding cost per pin is fair, $9.98 each for the straight pins, but $75 "set-up fee . Insert pin between centers, move stone to pin, zero and grind. $75 to do that? I think I'm in the wrong profession >>>>>>>>>

:grin: It's called shop time . These aren't hobby machinist companies you're dealing with . They have overhead , pay their employees , electric bills , rent etc . I would suggest buying a Cylindrical grinder , moving it into your own space , and doing them yourself . That way the pins will be free , or whatever you pay yourself . :grin:

Yeah, "corporate capitalism"

So I start a business and I work for myself. I have to pay for all my own equipment, my own material,my building, my overhead, my insurance,etc; but just because my company isn't greedy as satan himself and trying to make millions of dollars a year off the backs of others, instead of just working harder and putting out more product for the million, it doesn't count.

I get a mortgage on a 2 million dollar property, hire some employees and pay them some money and buy them insurance, I can charge $8,900 for a $20 part ??? And all that makes it right huh?

Never understood how these people sleep at night.

I've heard too many times, "oh, we HAVE to charge that much because of this , that and some other stuff" Then I look at the public records, only to find out that company turned a $8 million profit for the year>. So you HAVE to charge that much, why? It's NOT because you HAVE to, it's because of your greediness.

It's like when folks rip off Walmart or Home Depot, their signs say " Please don't shoplift from us. You only hurt the customers when we have to go up on the cost all our stuff because someone stole from us"

So instead of Home Depot hiring some in-store security, they pass their loss onto the customers !!!!! If someone ripped me off, my prices don't go up, I just take the loss and go on with it.

Oh, and I charge $25 per actual shop hour. If I am welding or machining for one hour, you owe me $25. I have overhead and all that crap too, but I like to sleep at night

Most likely you also have a full time job , with benefits , insurance etc . and your shop is in your home .

Go full time at home and charge $25 an hour and you'll starve in a month . NBS .

Sorry to bust yer bubble ; but this IS my full time job and has been since 2002. I have been charging $25 an hour since I started. 17 years so far & I've never went up on my labor charge. Thank the Lord I don't have to be late on a utility bill, car payment, insurance, tags, short of food, upkeep on the house and all the vehicles etc. Still put money back monthly. Buy tools and/or tooling darn near every single day so I can do more for people at a fair price and not have to pad the pockets of the greedy devils to do it.

Still charging $25 an hour and making a reasonable living..............Matter of fact, I just scored this $3800 (retail) Oliver drill sharpener 2 weeks ago for $316 (it's in excellent working order, fixing to get a total cleaning, a new original cast iron wheel guard came in today and a new cup wheel will be here Tuesday, should clean up very nicely, heavy cast iron, about 225 lbs) and this 75 lb. US Auto Box Machine Company, Massachusetts tilt table for my Bridgeport mill for $120.

Want more money???
WORK HARDER

All this needs is a paint job,
Awesome stuff that I worked for instead of gouging the public to get it

Must be location because I would starve at that rate! A weld shop would be a easy 100hr machine shop rate I would guess at least the same. Bump up that shop rate you deserve it.

My bubble isn't bursted ! :big grin: If you sleep well charging $25 an hour , most likely you could sleep GREAT at $15 an hour . :grin:

Want more money???
WORK HARDER

Most individuals prefer to " work smart , and not hard " . One day you'll get old and won't feel like working " hard " . ;)

In the end , charge what the market commands , $15 or $250 . As far as the pins , someone whom has a small shop may grind them for $25 an hour , but ain't no way a machine shop will do anything at that price . Most have minimum charges also .

Also , those pins started out as A2 and now they are O2 ? :dunno: And $75 set-up and $10 a pin comes up to $195 in my book . How did you arrive at the $1111.83 total ? If it's the shipping that adds all that cost , we're ALL in the wrong business ! :bawling:

Last edited:
Must be location because I would starve at that rate! A weld shop would be a easy 100hr machine shop rate I would guess at least the same. Bump up that shop rate you deserve it.

I live in the country, about 55 due east of downtown Dallas. and 4 miles from a town. A majority of my business comes from the internet. I look at it this way. I charge $25 a hour for shop time. People that live out in the country around ain't rich by any means. A friend of mine opened a automotive shop a few hundred yards away from me. He's a pretty good mechanic. I asked him how much he planned to charge, he said $65 an hour. I shook my head and told him he wouldn't last long at that rate and less than 2 years later, he's driving a truck for Oreillys. There was a chopper shop in the next city closer to Dallas. They charged 100 per hour They told me my business wouldn't last long because of my location. I told them I had already been in business for 12 years or so. One year later, that shop went outta business.

But ya got to realize, these days, people that want to make it, got to do more than just have a little machine/ welding shop. I machine parts and sell them, I buy and sell any thing that is worth a dime.. I'd far rather work my butt off, than to get ill-gotten gain. Ya reap what ya sow

Back