Small Craftsman Lathe, Back Gear Issue.

invisabledog

Active User
Registered
Posting this for a friend who isn't on the forum. He has a small Craftsman lathe and when back gear is engaged is won't stay. You have to hold the lever to keep it from diengaging. Is there an adjustment fr this? Thanks.

don't know the craftsman. Two of my lathes have a pin to hold it in backgear. If an inspection of things doesn't discover an issue, I'd make some way to hold it in place.

BTW, LOVE that camel back drill press for your avatar

Karl

don't know the craftsman. Two of my lathes have a pin to hold it in backgear. If an inspection of things doesn't discover an issue, I'd make some way to hold it in place.

BTW, LOVE that camel back drill press for your avatar

Karl

Thanks. I'll check over the lathe the next time I get up to mu buddies place an see what I can find. As for the camelback, I just made arrangements to buy another one. It's a Canedy-Otto and in a bit better shape. I'll probably sell the Champion that's in the avatar.

I'm not sure about Craftsman but Southbend lathes have set screws on the backgear shaft housing that can be adjusted to keep the back gear engaged.

Download the Atlas Technical Bulletin for your friend's headstock. There is one for the 6", one for the 10" and early 12", and one for the late 12" I don't know what you consider "small", but if he has a babbit bearing 10" or 12", or a sleeve bearing 6", the part on R&R of the spindle is only partly applicable. But the back gear part is all the same.

Robert D.

Most backgears on smaller lathes have an over centre engagement on the hand lever. There should be an adjusting screw for that in the bearing cap for the cam shaft.

Cheers Phil

Back gears on the Atlas lathes are engaged and disengaged by an eccentric (or two, left and right). How to adjust the eccentrics so that they break over-center with proper gear mesh is covered in the Technical Bulletins.

Robert D.

Back gears on the Atlas lathes are engaged and disengaged by an eccentric (or two, left and right). How to adjust the eccentrics so that they break over-center with proper gear mesh is covered in the Technical Bulletins.

Robert D.

Thanks Robert. Where do I find these tech bulletins?

Click on the For Members tab, scroll down, and click Downloads. Got to Atlas/Craftsman, Lathes, Maintenance & TB's. The three variants (10" & Early 12", 6" and Late 12") are grouped together about one screen down the page. Click on whichever one you need.and then click on the file name. You can either download (save) it or open it.

Robert D.

Another issue that can cause the back gear to disengage is lack of oil in the mail head shaft. It's easy to overlook the removable oil screw at the bottom of the pulley. Be sure to meet the shaft liberally lubed.

Back