Slowing Drill Press RPM's

Between the metric motor shaft and the "step" in the pulley, you've almost painted yourself into a corner. There are some outs but the window is closing some. So I need to think through this as I go. And bring up some of my own machines to compare against. Not bragging, just thinking through. For the first point, I don't recall if you mentioned a lathe. If you have or have access to such a machine it would be a simple process to make another pulley opposite what is on there now. You will need another pulley anyway, why not two. Worst case, a pair of countershafts would maintain the pulley positioning. A PITA on a good day, but it would be a solution.

So, on to the countershaft(s). I honestly don't know what my 17" floor model DP has for a motor or countershaft. I do have a 9 inch lathe in addition to a 12 inch. Both have smaller motors with a 3/4 inch (or are they 5/8?) shaft. But they are smaller by far than what you have. I would say at least a 3/4" shaft, a 7/8 or 1 inch would be better. If I were to finagle something like that, the pulley(s) would run on ball bearings. Or the entire shaft and pulley. That would be your call, depending on what bearings you had or could find, and the contruction of the head stock. A countershaft must be rigidly mounted but must also swing some. A 1/4 inch piece of bar stock will do, thicker would be better.

I assume the drill press is of Asian origin. Or is it European? In any case the metric motor shaft indicates overseas production. Last I heard, many years back, 99% of drill presses were made in Asia anyway. The point is that belts may be of an odd size and/or configuration. One of my machines uses a 5mm wide belt. In the Gates catalog there is also a 7mm size. My machine uses a 5M720, 5mm wide and 720mm long, with a 60 degree pitch. The 60 degrees is the kicker, A US made belt will not fit properly. I happen to like them, they are surprisingly strong and pulleys are easy to make with a "standard" threading tool. A countershaft will require another belt, make sure what type and keep to the same.

There are other considerations here, most cannot be done remotely. The post above brings up a DC motor. But without reduction, it will lose torque at a terrific rate at very slow speed. A consideration, but with losses that must be planned for.

But you mentioned having a 3 pulley system… what is the slowest setting you can get with that?

Some really good questions are coming from you all...thanks! This all should get to the bottom of what I need to do.
First off, since the name cast in the side of the press says "King" and is a vintage press, I'm going to speculate that it was made in Canada. There is no tag with specs on the machine itself or a belt configuration label that has "RPM" speed. There's next to no information out there that I have come a cross on vintage King drill presses. Next, I don't know if the motor is original to the drill press. The motor tag indicates Teco brand and the standard information tag that a motor has. 60Hz, 110/220V, 19/9.5A, 1730RPM, 1 1/2HP.
I'm going to suspect the motor is not original because of the HP rating and shaft diameter. Seems like a beast of a motor.

Now, back to the pulleys on the drill press. I haven't pulled the pulley off the spindle shaft yet so don't know if I can get it off but the intermediate one comes on/off it's mounting location ("floats" in it's mounting hole and the opposing belts keep it in place) easy enough and that one may have space to change out to a different size step pulley. I just don't know if there'd be room within the belt housing to make much difference in the RPM. From what I understand about an intermediate pulley, to lower my RPM's, I'd need one that had a larger diameter for the motor side and a smaller diameter for the spindle side than what it currently is.

I'd suggest reviewing Page 1 posts #4 & 5.. Just need a few measurements like pulley sizes and you can match the rpms listed. My .02.

....First off, since the name cast in the side of the press says "King" and is a vintage press, I'm going to speculate that it was made in Canada. There is no tag with specs on the machine itself or a belt configuration label that has "RPM" speed. There's next to no information out there that I have come a cross on vintage King drill presses. ........

King is a relatively new name for Canadian machinery and it's all imported from overseas. King has been around since 1910, but they only branched in to machinery since 1983. Before that they operated as a steel forge:

Lots of companies in the states have used the King name. A quick search here:

Will turn up 5 or 6 of them.....

Last edited:
Back