Slitting saw recommendation

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm in the market for a slitting saw for a project. 1mm thickness specifically to start with. Also need to turn an arbour for it so I'd like to have the saw first so I can machine to fit.
Any decent ones that won't break the bank?

I'm in the market for a slitting saw for a project. 1mm thickness specifically to start with. Also need to turn an arbour for it so I'd like to have the saw first so I can machine to fit.
Any decent ones that won't break the bank?
What diameter saw blade and what spindle taper?

Thanks for those @JimF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the arbors like Joe Pie showed me. Used them just last week.
The best tip I have got for slitting saws is this-

Take the full depth of cut in your first and only pass. Adjust your speed and feed to suit.

I think you may benefit from using a standard size arbor, lots of blades with a 1" hole, but not too difficult to also make one smaller. Below is a link to how Jim made his, there are a number of other posts on how others have done them. One thing to be careful is that when cutting the blade can twist and the screw can self tighten to the point that it can't be removed w/o drilling it out. I prefer to use an Allen head screw that is countersunk in the head with a wave washer which decreases this from happening. I have included a design I made and drawn up by a past HM member.

As far as 1 mm slitting saws, I think other then the one that David pointed too at McMaster's it will be very uncommon to find a metric saw with an inch bore. You can look at a close approximation in inches such as 0.039" instead of 0.03937" (1mm). When cutting use lubricant, try to take a deep cut and try to keep the RPM on the lower end with HSS otherwise yo will burn up the blade.

Attachments

• Slitting Saw Arbor drawing R1.pdf
    556.6 KB · Views: 8
Back