Slitting Saw Depth of Cut

Nyala, you can get slitting saws with really small center holes, down to 1/2". However, they will not be as stable in the cut. Your best bet is a blade with a 1" center hole, which means the holder will be somewhere around 1-1/2" OD. So, half the OD of the arbor is 3/4", plus the 1.25" depth of cut is 2", so at minimum you will need a 4" blade or possibly a 5" blade. You want to have at least 3 teeth in the cut at all times you're looking for a blade with a lower tooth count. Hollow ground blades work fine for aluminum and the lower tooth count will help clear chips better. When you cut, take the cut at full depth and use a lot of cutting fluid to reduce binding.

Have a look at the Sierra American slitting saw holders. They work very well, have the minimal diameter needed and are fairly priced.

Thanks Mikey. I'll look at Sierra American and take your advice on blades. Up until a couple of days ago I didn't know what a slitting saw was, so all of this information works to educate me on their use. I have so much to learn about machining.

Denny

Do you have an R8 spindle ?

There are other forums here much more appropriate for this thread, because you're only asking people that own PM gear with it hear.

Not sure where this came from . Actually , many of us here don't know what PM stands for . ;) Oh , you're talking about the thread location . :oops2:

Not sure where this came from . Actually , many of us here don't know what PM stands for . ;)

Aside from the time of day, PM on forums always brings Private Message to my mind. That's what it's been called for most forums forever but Xenforo decided to call it Conversations which I hate. Now a days with social media, all the kids say DM (direct message). It kind of erks me when I hear people on forums say "DM me".

But to the point of your question, I believe what @kb58 was trying to say, may have been better to post this question in general etc for more exposure since it's a machining question rather than in the PM forum here. The question has nothing to do specifically with Precision Matthews machines.

Depends how you view new posts though. Some people only view specific sections. I view by the New/Recent Posts feature so where ever it's posted doesn't matter for me.

I'm using a PM-25MV with an R8 spindle (also with DRO). My current project is motorizing the Z axis.

I've had it set up for a little over a month and have been doing small things but no real projects. I watched a number of YouTube videos and selected some small projects to get my feet wet and downloaded some prints. I am using the mill in connection with a South Bend Model C, 9x20 lathe. The lathe was build somewhere between 1937 and 1942 but was completely rebuilt by Dad. He even made all the missing gears for threading. The bed was scraped in by him and the lathe works like a charm, but it's small.

I inherited the lathe and a ton of tooling from Dad while he was still with us. Dad was a life long machinist and have some tooling that is way to big for me to even use (1" boring bar a foot long), but 99% of it will all work for me. Most of his tools were Starrett. If I look hard enough, I might even find an arbor for the slitting saw. I have tools that I don't even know what they are.

One thing I am looking at is a QCTP for the lathe. It's far too hard to work close to the chuck with the lantern style tool post and small things often do not extend out very well. I do not have any collets for it so I have to be careful not to run into the chuck. I sometimes extend the part or the tool out further than I want to avoid the chuck.

I tried cutting a taper by offsetting the tailstock and turning between centers using a lathe dog. Sometimes I was successful and sometimes I simply broke the part. I have a bunch of broken parts.

I create small things that I can use and will not likely ever create anything major with these small machines.

I really do appreciate everyone's help. I received some basic lessons on the lathe from Dad, but I'm going cold with the mill.

Thanks for everything.

Denny

I have R-8 arbors and many saws if you wanted to try one for hahas . As long as I get it back , you could use it .

But to the point of your question, I believe what @kb58 was trying to say, may have been better to post this question in general etc for more exposure since it's a machining question rather than in the PM forum here. The question has nothing to do specifically with Precision Matthews machines.

Depends how you view new posts though. Some people only view specific sections. I view by the New/Recent Posts feature so where ever it's posted doesn't matter for me.

After reading his post , I understand what he meant . :) He was referring to the thread in which it was posted and not the members responding . So , what does PM mean ? :grin:

Back