Slitting saw arbor - Disappointing

I'd just turn the cap screw head diameter down until it clears. That's what I did and it works just fine. As matter of fact that is what I did with both of my 1" SA arbors. There's plenty of meat on the screw head, basically just turn off the knurling, it won't take much to fix the problem. If you need it now, just turn the head. It's a 30 second job on the lathe.

Or ask SA to provide a new cap for the arbor.
Thank you for the confirmation. I will drop them a note, just so they see that this is impacting their customers. But I will just fix the one that I have. As you mentioned seems like an easy fix.

I would fix the cap, that way if I need to replace the bolt, I don't have to worry, or anyone else would need to figure it out again.

You can turn another cap screw in 30 seconds if you lose it... But @woodchucker is right, if you fix the cap, then any bolt of the right length would work. The setup is a lot faster to turn the cap screw. If you mess up the cap, you are hosed. If you mess up the screw, reach in the box for another one...

Edit: do what you think is more comfortable. If you mess either one up, you aren't hosed. You have machines, just make another piece. For me I chose to turn the screw, simply because it was the easiest option to get back to work again. I had a box of screws the right size, so it was an easy choice for me.

Last edited:
I got these just in case I ever needed them... do not have a real use for them at the moment... so I have time... I will machine the screw since I am in Ocala and do not have all the cutters here... That one I can do easily here... and just place it all back in the drawer for whenever I need it.

Thank you!

Back