Slitting a Collet

old toolmaker

Registered
Registered
I am making a collet to fit a Quorn Tool and Cutter grinder work head. The collet is 1-1/2" O.D. at the large end and 1.000" I.D. x .812" long. It is to have one slot cut its full length. Material is 303 stainless steel. The collet fit the 1.000" diameter work head arbor before slitting but closed up about .004" after slitting. I am pondering ways to open the collet back up to nominal dimension so it slides easily onto the arbor. I have thought about heating it to relax the fit, adding additional slots not quite full depth to make the collet more flexible, etc.
Any ideas that I may not be seeing?

I have attached a photo for clarity.

Dick

Quorn Split Collet.jpg

I saw a youtube where a piece of rubber was used in the slit so their collet would release easier.
Wondering if you just need to pry it/wedge it open so it is slightly over size.
A between centers mandrel would probably be the way to wedge it open.

I have made collets and I have opened them up by tapping a wedge like a screwdriver
Into the slot. It is better to have the slot opened up then to have it too small for the bore size. I have also opened up 5c collets that have closed up smaller then stated size. Jimsehr

After considering all the ideas put forth, I used a wedge to open the slot enough to bring the I.D. to the intended size. (I think the tapered mandrel approach would work also but I would have needed to buy one.) I had to open the bore a little oversize so when I removed the wedge it relaxed to very close to nominal size. I refaced both ends to make sure they were still square and I am happy with the result.
I want to thank everyone who contributed suggestions. They were all great food for thought. There is nothing better than tossing ideas around to fertilize the mind.

Dick

Back