Slits In O1 Or A2 Tool Steel With Cnc Mill And Slitting Saw?

cameronm

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I have a project where I need to make about 100 or so slits evenly spaced width wise about 0.03" width and depth (<- not 100% set on) in 5/16" x 5/16" square O1 or A2 tool steel. I have been doing a lot of research on what kind of tools I think would be able to do this and I was thinking of a cnc ready sherline 5400 mill with a 0.03" slitting saw. I was thinking the sherline because its within my price range and because it can be converted into a horizontal configuration allowing the z axis to be raised and lowered. From what I can tell of other mills is they can go in horizontal configuration but you lose the ability of the z to go up and down. So my questions are is a sherline cnc mill with a slitting saw the way to go? If so what material would be good for the slitting saw? On msc direct it says carbide saws should be used on non ferrous steels and it says that hss is good for both. Would hss be the good to cut O1 or A2? If not what would be the best way to do this? I do not really have experience with mills only 3d printers so any help will help.

Thank you,

Cameron

You do not need a CNC machine to make a bunch of evenly spaced slits, just make a simple indexing jig that uses the previous slit to index the stock for the next cut. I could make one in 10 minutes. If you WANT a CNC rig, that is a different issue... 8^)

Start with defining if the slits go crosswise or lengthwise on the stock (sounds like crosswise), how accurately they need to be placed and the tolerance of the cut width and depth. Perhaps what you are going to do with it as well, there may be other approaches to filling your need. For instance, there are faster and more robust slit makers than slitting saws...

Edit: Just noticed you are a new member. Welcome to Hobby Machinist!

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome and response!

Basically I want to make a modified rack (like rack and pinion)

Edit: I can't just buy one and modify

So the cuts would be crosswise. The slots would need to be placed pretty precise. The width and depth would need to be as consistent as possible.

I made a device with some stepper motors and a dremel thincut cutoff wheel but the cutter's diameter would shrink while cutting and so would the length and depth of the cut, so it was hard to get a consistent cut.

I'v done searches on alternate cutting methods but I can't find anything. Probably using the wrong search term. What or how would you search for an alternate way of cutting these types of slots?

Thanks again!

Cameron

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome and response!

Basically I want to make a modified rack (like rack and pinion)

Edit: I can't just buy one and modify

So the cuts would be crosswise. The slots would need to be placed pretty precise. The width and depth would need to be as consistent as possible.

I made a device with some stepper motors and a dremel thincut cutoff wheel but the cutter's diameter would shrink while cutting and so would the length and depth of the cut, so it was hard to get a consistent cut.

I'v done searches on alternate cutting methods but I can't find anything. Probably using the wrong search term. What or how would you search for an alternate way of cutting these types of slots?

Thanks again!

Cameron
A rack and pinion has gear teeth, not just slits. It takes quite a bit more knowledge and tooling to make. However, racks and pinion gears are available ready to use, no gear cutting required. You can also just use a ball screw in its place. But, we still do not know what you are doing or making, so it is difficult to make useful suggestions. The notches you mentioned (.030 x .030") are pretty tiny and would not be very strong or well engaged if used as a rack. Why not just use a ball screw?

Yeah I think ball screw is the way to go. I think I am over complicating things, thank you for the suggestion.

Cameron

You know, there is a wealth of information here, but if you want to play secret squirrel we just cant help with alternatives............

Cheers Phil

Back