Size And Type Of 3 Phase Transformer?

I'm guessing that the motor in your lathe isn't dual voltage (220/440) so that you could just re-configure the wiring at the motor ? If the motor is a single voltage, 440V motor, have you considered the possibility of changing out the motor to a 220V, 3 phase, 60hZ motor. It may not be any more expensive than the transformer you're trying to find. Of course, you would also have to make sure that the control voltage requirement for your machine isn't also 440V if there are components such as relays, magnetic starters, transformers, etc. Just some food for thought.

Ted

No I'm afraid the motor is 440 only 2 speed which rules out rewire and VFD. I wanted to go the rpc route to future proof for other machines I may purchase and to keep the lathe all original. If only I knew the transformer would be so hard/expensive to acquire, maybe I would have just changed the motor.

I think you might have rushed into this- Myself I probably would have done the step-up first in single phase then used a vfd to get the 440 three phase... If I was determined to use the original motor. You still could do that and maybe use the rpc for other stuff. The direction you are going now won't be the most efficient and the 3 phase transformer will be pretty buzzy. Not to mention expensive and BIG.
Mark S

Please explain?
A motor generator would consist of a single-phase synchronous motor connected by a shaft to a three-phase synchronous generator (they might share a common frame). There would be two sets of terminals: one set for the motor and one for the generator. The transformer would be unneeded as the generator could directly output 400V.

Back