size 16 threading insert holder

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I was was looking to get a threading insert setup for my g0602. found this holder on ebay says it's 15mm if it's to high I figured I could mill down the shank a bit. it's low price is because it's from china but way I look at it is most of the us sellers are just buying from china and adding thier markup what do yall think anyone buy one simaler? ?? All opinions welcome :) just wanna make sure I don't buy something I won't be able to find inserts for later looking through all the inserts and sizes etc can be a wee bit confusing for a newbie lolScreenshot_2017-03-25-18-00-21.png

I use the same style holder with the 16 size insert for external threading but mine is the real deal made by Carmex.

The China holders are tempting cause they are inexpensive but I stay away from them. Many are not very hard or hardened at all. So the concern is the insert seat (pocket) & screw hole wearing out. If you don't use it a lot it should be ok. But they are not all equal so some may actually be decent. Also not sure if the Carmex anvils will fit (the part the insert sits on). Changing anvils can be helpful as they change the helix angle.

One more thing to think about before you buy. The inserts listed are AG60. They are good for 8-48 TPI. I prefer to use A60 inserts which are good for 16-48 TPI. Difference is the A60 inserts have a smaller tip (not as wide as AG60) so I can thread closer to a shoulder which is more important for me. I rarely thread any coarse threads. I personally would rather get a pack of A60 inserts if they offer it & just buy 1 AG60 insert later if/when I need.

If you do decide you want something better, check out latheinserts.com. Curtis is very knowledgable & helpful. He used to work at Kennametal.

Thanks I was also looking at a toolmex holder I bought one before that I really like I think I got it from latheinserts.com can't find many other dealers I think there's are made in Europe

Are the Carmex threading tools and inserts made in the USA?

Carmex is made in Isreal.

Excellent. Thanks! The price looks pretty good too.

I don't know. If the inserts are any good at all, that's a hell of a price. It may just be My Scott's/Irish back round, but I'm thinking replace the screws, and if necessary, harden the holder, but it would probably be fine. Mike

I don't know. If the inserts are any good at all, that's a hell of a price. It may just be My Scott's/Irish back round, but I'm thinking replace the screws, and if necessary, harden the holder, but it would probably be fine. Mike

True, if the inserts are at least decent, that's a good price just for the inserts alone. But there's a tool holder included also, makes me wonder how they can sell it all for that low of a price. Something has to be lacking.

UmHunter
What have you got to lose at that price. I would buy and give them ago. The inserts may not be the highest quality and if your a normal hobbyist you wont be using the holder day in day out. I buy most of my tool holders and Korloy inserts on AliExpress. So far they have all exceeded my requirements and the low price has allowed me to buy tools and holders for all the tools I use. I even have seperate holders even for some of the different radii inserts I use. At the prices charged I still havent gone broke.
Ron

I bought a 20 by 20 with the ag60 inserts for 39.00 . eBay says it arrived in Chicago 1 day ago,so I should have it tomorrow . I'll report back if it shows up.
Did my first threading ever last week. Less than a quarter inch by 24 thread machine screw for a old brown &a sharp horizontal mill I drugg home awhile back. It took a few try's but I finally got it. I was using my 16 by 54 American pacemaker and a hss threading tool
Thanks ron

Back