Single point threading questions

This is a screenshot from a mrpete222 video showing “the right 30°“.

I had my lathe set at the wrong 30° for awhile, and it didn’t work out so well.

I will leave it to others to recommend 29°, 29 1/2° or 30°. Personally, I do 29 1/2 or 30°.

890C3032-C5E0-453B-8527-C6F9D5522710.png

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much!! I read each post and jotted everything down. Right after dinner today I chucked up some steel and turned it down to dimension. I adjusted the compound slide to 60.5 degrees and mounted a dial indicator.

After the initial scratch pass I disabled the motor and turned the thread by hand. I continued to turn the chuck and dial in the compound a little at a time until it started looking like a thread. Aside from my forearms aching I feel good about the end result. Not as finished as maybe it should be, but the nut fits and moves smoothly.

I feel confident the next project I need to make threads I will be a able to. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0649 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0649 (1).jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0650.jpeg
    IMG_0650.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 43
Thank you guys so much!! I read each post and jotted everything down. Right after dinner today I chucked up some steel and turned it down to dimension. I adjusted the compound slide to 60.5 degrees and mounted a dial indicator.

After the initial scratch pass I disabled the motor and turned the thread by hand. I continued to turn the chuck and dial in the compound a little at a time until it started looking like a thread. Aside from my forearms aching I feel good about the end result. Not as finished as maybe it should be, but the nut fits and moves smoothly.

I feel confident the next project I need to make threads I will be a able to. Thank you!!!
IMG_3302.JPG

^^^Whatsit?^^
I'm going to guess for turning the lathe by hand?

Finish your threads by running a triangle file in the throats of the threads (under power). Then, use a mill smooth file to smooth the tops of the threads. These operations will remove the many burrs that threading can produce.

It goes through the back of the spindle. A twist of the wing nut expands the arbor.

What a great idea. Do you leave that mandrel in the spindle all the time, or do you just put it in when you are threading to a shoulder?

Back