Single phase motor choice

Lo-Fi

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Evening!

I'm looking for a bit of knowledge, discussion and collective noodling regarding some aspects of single phase mytors that don't seem to get much airtime...

Circumstances:

I'm building a Quorn tool and cutter grinder. As designed, it uses a ~2800 rpm 2 pole 1/6hp motor from Parvalux (though the brand is unimportant).

The conundrum(s):

I could buy new and be done with it. But they're not an insignificant amount of money. 2800rpm single phase motors that size are almost impossible to get hold of second hand - I assume because there's not much call for high speed/low torque. Most get geared down down way anyway, so what's the point?
Brushed motors alone are not an option as they rev their t*** off when unloaded. Not cool with an abrasive wheel that may explode.

My thoughts:

It's round belt drive (though I've not invested anything in parts design or construction of the pulley system at this stage), so easy enough to gear up from motor to spindle. My lowest rated wheel, I think is over 4000rpm, so that's the spindle speed I'm aiming for. 2.75:1 is not a completely stupid pulley ratio assuming a 1450rpm motor. I also have reservations (that may be unfounded) about the smoothness or lack thereof of a 2 pole motor. Is this actually an issue? Does a 4 pole give smoother torque delivery than a 2 pole? If so, is this negated in any way by gearing up through the pulleys

Other options:

3 phase motors are available cheaply second hand, but then I'd need a phase inverter/vfd, which seems rather heavy handed and more expensive than just buying a new 2800rpm motor.
Use a brushed universal motor from a vacuum cleaner and a closed loop speed controller. This does have compactness going for it.
Rewire a 4 pole to a 2 pole? I've successfully internally rewired 2 Dahlander configured 3 phase motors to standard delta, so that's not particularly scary if it's indeed possible. Though I was told by t'internet at large that rewiring a Dahlander motor without rewinding it was impossible. Pffff. Watch me!
Another option is to make a speed increasing gearbox, which I'm quite capable of doing.
And fill in the blank...... Talk to me, Goose.

I know, I know: just buy the high speed motor and save the bother... But I wouldn't be a hobby machinist if I wasn't always half engaged in finagling some crazy scheme to save precious tool money at the expense of dozens of hours, would I?

I would do the 3 phase motor and use the vfd to control speed.
Just my opinion.
I would avoid the universal motor.

1 thing you didn't mention, you can get some nice R/C brushless motors, and a speed controller, and you'll have to come up with a way to talk to the controller. And that would put you at light weight, low cost...

the R/C brushless are 3 phase motors. I'm sure you can pickup a little black box to control speed, I'll bet they have them for testing.
The only issue would be your power supply. I think you can come up with a DC power.

I think mine is a Dayton motor. I can get the part number if you want it. Reversibility is important!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Just to keep things in perspective, you are running 50 Hz. I am in the States, using 60Hz. Also, when I speak of motor speed, an induction motor has a synchrouous speed of 3600 RPM for a 2 pole and of 1800 RPM for a 4 pole. The actual motor speed is some 150 RPM less than the synchronous speed, called "slip". It's where motors get their torque. In the UK, at 50 Hz, the speeds will be lower, 3000 RPM and 1500 RPM respectively. The formula for that is: F(requency) = P(oles) X S(peed) / 120

With that out of the way, my take on motors: Your target speed is ~4000 RPM. The first choice would be an induction motor of 2 poles, yielding some 3000 RPM / 2850 RPM actual. An induction motor will not go higher unless frequency is increased. (VFD, or Etc) And, through experimentation, VFDs do not work on single phase motors. Only on 3 phase. . . So if you went that option, you would need to find not only the 3 phase motor, but the a VFD as well.

So, the most direct option is to belt the motor, with the driver (motor) pulley a little larger. Staying with an induction motor is preferable long term if for nothing more than lower maintenance. Using a 4 pole motor will be slower, 1500 RPM, with correspondingly larger pulleys. The question of pulley sizes I leave as an excercise for the end user. A gearbox of 4:3 is doable. (?1.333:1) But adds complexity.

Finding the appropriate size motor might get expensive. I have bought a (cheap) belt sander just to salvage the motor. It was 1/3 the price of the small motor I had in mind. I envisioned a 1/10 HP capacitor start motor, a split phase fan motor wouldn't cut it. The bench top sander was, by far, the least expensive.

An alternative is a 3 phase motor and a VFD. For the drive size you expect, cost will be higher than a single phase. But all in all, not unreasonable. The primary down side is that you are functionally dependant on an electromic "gizmo". Yes, it will run a motor above "base" speed by sending it a higher frequency. But setup is extensive. . . And requires a basic knowledge of the motor.

There also is a DC motor. I would recommend against a wound field motor, speed stability is important in your case. And wound field motors are lacking here, even with a "shunt" field. The one I have has a PerMag field. (PERmanant MAGnet) I don't know the speed of the motor, it was built on a light weight winch for 120 Volts AC. (?Harbor Freight-Chinese?) It uses a rectifier bridge so the DC motor can function on an AC line. I bring it up only as a possible alternative. The PerMag field is much more speed stable. The down side there is higher maintenance, it is a brushed motor. . .

Hope this helps,
Bill Hudson​

Pretty inexpensive 3 phase TENV 3000 RPM motor, add a cheap VFD and you can dial in the speed you want. As mentioned, single phase you would be using a 2 pole motor @ 50 Hz and with the slip puts you in at 2800-2850. A 4 pole motor is an option and just change the pulley size. A 3 phase motor will give smoother operation but in the context of how it will be used I am not sure it matters.

If in the US I would go with a sealed motor like the Bodine, a DC motor with controller could also be purchased direct from China at a reasonable cost but otherwise probably more expensive.

Thanks for some extensive replies and insights! I'll absorb and cogitate :)

VFD for small motors are not expensive.

Nor are small 3 phase motors

Best option for speed control is 3 phase as the bonus here is most3 phase motors are not built for retail..meaning most are built for industrial grade where most single phase are NOT built that way.

Look for a sealed motor so no worries with particle intrusion.

Speed control can be fixed via programming or variable via a pot on your control panel

A "project" could include a cheap frequency counter or tach connected to a module to convert to fpm so you can display bonus stuff.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back