Simplest way to make a lathe dog please.

Dranreb

Active User
Registered
I don't have one big enough but need a lathe dog to fit 1.25 inch stock, ideas as to how to make a safe one in a short time would be much appreciated.

Bernard

Sometimes we have to come up with something "as needed" maybe one time use. Came across that last week. Simply a piece of the right ID pipe on the chop saw and just welded a half inch round stock to catch a chuck jaw, drilled and tapped the pipe for two set screws at 10 and 2 and 6 o'clock. This was for a large piece but its one more assesory for the box.

Sometimes we have to come up with something "as needed" maybe one time use. Came across that last week. Simply a piece of the right ID pipe on the chop saw and just welded a half inch round stock to catch a chuck jaw, drilled and tapped the pipe for two set screws at 10 and 2 and 6 o'clock. This was for a large piece but its one more assesory for the box.

Thanks, didn't think of welding, that seems simple enough for me :) I'm off to the shed now..

Bernard

I have some that came with my first lathe made from thin sheet alu bent to the aproximate radius and bolted together, they look like they have worked but i havnt need to dog somthing that big so havent tested them, cant find one to photo will do if i fond them latter.

Stuart

Made this, it took longer to find my center punch and to make sure a small under bench fire was out (yeah I know :) ) than it did to make the dog!

Works a treat...

DSCF9338.JPG

DSCF9338.JPG

You can also weld or bolt a leg onto a muffler clamp for larger dia. stock.

I would think that the only requirement would be that whatever you make up is reasonably rigid. If there's any spring to it, I'd bet you get some interesting chatter patterns.

Back