Silver Brazing Stainless Steel

The part is a 48" diameter stainless steel cylinder that is 8 inch high and 0.031 thick. The surface is curved since its a disc and makes it a bit tricky to have the backing placed correctly. I think I will need to sand the carbon backing I have found to fit the radius of the disc.

I too wish my buddy had tried his hand on a piece of same thickness first. He feels bad enough already I wont add to it.

I did a first attempt on two scrap pieces. I got to join them and its quite strong BUT, I tried it on 16ga SS and the pieces warped.

Think the flux i used was bad but i may be wrong. Think it is supposed to be some paste but when I opened the can it was solid and a bit granular.(can was sitting on a shelf for quite a while)

I must say I tried my hand with the propane torch, because the OA tanks were empty. Maybe I heated too much for nothing like joshua said. Ill try again tomorrow with OA as we will have new tanks.

Add a small amount of water to your flux and mix it up, it will go back to a paste.

Greg

Back