Sieg X2 vs X2D + CNC question

Robobro Welcome to H-M.

I have a Grizzly branded version of the Sieg SX3. Overall I'm quite happy with it. No major issues. I did give it at good cleaning when I got it. It's been a solid machine for my uses. One thing at least with the Sieg Machines.... Many models are sold by Grizzly and LMS, which means parts are available and at least through Grizzly reasonably priced.

I picked up a Syil X3, which a CNC conversion of the SX3 by Syil. It had been run hard by the previous owner with some questionable mods. I was able to get it back in good shape with a parts purchased from Grizzly. For example a new Spindle was only ~$50 from Grizzly.

Arc Euro Trade has some great info about disassembling and cleaning Sieg Machines.

Are you happy with it overall? Any serious defects? Little Machine Shop sell the same mill except it has the gas struts. When I first bought my mill about 8years(?) ago went for the LMS. For the mills of its class, it had the largest table brushless DC motor, R8 tool holders, and the most rigid column. You can also check out my thread on "multi mods for mini mill". The riser block is worth it (you can either buy one or make it yourself). I still buy products through LMS because of their quality and they stand behind their products. Overall, for what I do, I am happy with this mill.

I bought the X2D from LMS about 6 yrs ago. No question, avoid the tilting column at all cost!

Unlike my Sieg mini lathe, the X2D was great right out of the box, no need to peruse 100 websites to find all the little mods that fixed factory problems. With the exception of installing a 3 axis TouchDRO setup and making a spindle lock, mine is 100% stock.

Would I be happier with a bigger machine, sure. But I don't really have a ton of extra room and for what I fiddle around with I really haven't found that job where I really wished I had something bigger.

I can't speak to whether it's a good machine to do a CNC conversion to, so maybe someone here has actually done it and can comment.

Back