Sieg SC3 7x16 Mini Lathe Question...

Trust me, we get equally poor QC'd SIEG lathes in the US , and I include my LMS 5100.

Took a long time to solve the vibration issues. And headstock alignment and fit to the bed.

Hi Grifter,

I'm having the exact same problem that your going through. Just wish I'd come across this thread before I committed to the Sieg SC3. I'm no stranger to the Sieg, I had the C3 for 13 years before this one and it ran as smooth as silk. I got rid of it to make room for the SC3, sad loss. I've also got the Sieg SX3 mill and that's the same runs as smooth as silk.

The response from the supplier (the company from Leicester) seems to be the same as yours so reading between the lines I'm certain you got yours from the same place. I think the response from them is disgusting considering I've spent thousands with them over the years. Tried telling me that because of the higher torque of the brushless motor it can causes the vibration, never heard so much rubbish. The very nature of a motor that's not brushed contributes to it's superior smoothness. I purchased an er collet chuck at the same time which needed a 100mm backplate and they touched on that saying to maybe put bungs into the unused holes. I also got that the bearings may not be up to it so I have now ordered the taper bearings but I'm not convinced. I also got the we have run the glass test on our end and we get the same results here.

My vibration is annoying especially when trying to do fine detail turning but is nowhere as bad as yours. My vibration is also present just running the spindle nothing attached. To say these machines are acceptable is unacceptable in my eyes.

Link to my videos.

What's the thing you haven't done, I'm very intrigued. Glad you didn't do the same as me and sold your old one.

@Mobile Wizard

Not able to play the vids :(

One thing I will say is that AC bearings helped, as did a **Slightly** looser belt.

Will go over everything I am doing / have done once I get time. (Including dealing with the motor, pulleys and belt).

Been busy with pre-show season prep and sorting out and co-hosting the Ace Cafe Raleigh Chopper meet & the Milton Keynes Raleigh Chopper Ride. Now prepping for the National Raleigh Chopper show (31st May/ 1st June).

Last edited:
I think to have any impact on QC better than we see is any importer/rebrander would need boots on the ground at the factory while there run is going through the factory.

I think to have any impact on QC better than we see is any importer/rebrander would need boots on the ground at the factory while there run is going through the factory.

True enough, though I do suspect that certain suppliers (such as a certain Leicester one perhaps?) may not want to do that or may not have the resources to have "boots on the ground" at the factory and instead rely on the (admittedly p*$$ poor) QC of the factory and we all know how that ends, especially in the case of Boeing (Boeing in name only if you know the history of the company).

Take a long screwdriver and touch the tip at a point as close to the spindle bearings as possible. Place the screwdriver handle into your ear and listen to the noise. If you hear a different sound between the bearings , this probably means you have a bad bearing. Your effectively using a screwdriver as a diagnostic stethoscope.

Take a long screwdriver and touch the tip at a point as close to the spindle bearings as possible. Place the screwdriver handle into your ear and listen to the noise. If you hear a different sound between the bearings , this probably means you have a bad bearing. Your effectively using a screwdriver as a diagnostic stethoscope.

Ya, I knew about that trick at 10 years old and screwdriver length is not in it since it can be done with any length screwdriver, providing you use one of appropriate length to ensure personal safety.

Besides, spindle bearings have been replaced already, so they don't come into the issue and besides, the "stethoscope" trick with a screwdriver is how I usually trace a bad bearing, other than just by "feel".

True enough, though I do suspect that certain suppliers (such as a certain Leicester one perhaps?) may not want to do that or may not have the resources to have "boots on the ground" at the factory and instead rely on the (admittedly p*$$ poor) QC of the factory and we all know how that ends, especially in the case of Boeing (Boeing in name only if you know the history of the company).
Going through lots of quality issues across the board in the auto repair field. Each part should come with one of those magic 8 balls. Shake and see your outcome.

Going through lots of quality issues across the board in the auto repair field. Each part should come with one of those magic 8 balls. Shake and see your outcome.
The magic 8 balls that when 60% of owners were polled, they said it was correct 80% of the time? those magic 8 balls? :laughing:

I know what you mean and as the old saying goes "Just because it is new, does NOT mean it is good!".

Whatever happened to physical A/C controls? I mean, who wants a failure prone motor with plastic gears operating a "blend door" when that can be accomplished with simple crank and wire hooked up to a lever? It is overcomplication for the sake of it just to make money when it fails. Talk about forced obsolesence and known designed in failure points!

NOT being political... BUT!

The problem is we now live in a throwaway society, not the "make do and mend" of prior generations, let alone having to fight for the "right to repair" B/S going on.

I will stick to older vehicles that don't need a computer to tell you they just sh4t the bed and that you can repair in your driveway yourself!!.

The magic 8 balls that when 60% of owners were polled, they said it was correct 80% of the time? those magic 8 balls? :laughing:

I know what you mean and as the old saying goes "Just because it is new, does NOT mean it is good!".

Whatever happened to physical A/C controls? I mean, who wants a failure prone motor with plastic gears operating a "blend door" when that can be accomplished with simple crank and wire hooked up to a lever? It is overcomplication for the sake of it just to make money when it fails. Talk about forced obsolesence and known designed in failure points!

The problem is we now live in a throwaway society, not the "make do and mend" of prior generations, let alone having to fight for the "right to repair" B/S going on.

I will stick to older vehicles that don't need a computer to tell you they just sh4t the bed and that you can repair in your driveway yourself!!.
A few of my dads quotes growing up ( Im 52)
“New Means Nothing”
“ Thats gonna hurt”
“Pain and suffering is a great teacher”
Maybe not “his” quotes but learned a lot….
There where many more.

The problem now is finding any good pots for the older vehicles. There’s not much of anything out there for a car 20 years old or older. That’s not just cheap junk. You used to be able to buy new old stock, but that’s getting expensive and hotter to find.

I’ve been working on cars for 30 years. I can’t remember a time where I never thought. Holy crap they make this any worse. I’m not gonna sit here and say cars were built better back then but the over complication of the new cause is ridiculous. Especially with all the electronic module integration. Will one module that goes bad or short out can affect the entire vehicle it’s just off. I’m not sure what the big changes and wiring, but I see a lot more corrosion than I used to and wires and wire connections. And to add a few other things, we have a lot of low-voltage systems even more problematic. It’s a mess. It really is and the cost of some of this stuff to replace it is ridiculous.

Although I consider this a luxury and a creature comfort. I’m working on a 2014 maxima and the lady wants her climate control seat to work. Well, the little heater that heats up the seat shorted out and burnt out, climate controlled seat module, which turned burnt out the fan and suspect of the heater that’s seat, not including the labor or any diagnostic time priced out 1600 bucks

Back