Sidney 14" Lathe

dcheff

Active User
Registered
I just picked this lathe up, kind of a funny story about how i got it. A local guy was up north for the weekend, got drunk and went to an auction. He came home with a lathe that he had no way of unloading off of his trailer. I bought it from him and am pretty happy with it even though I havent turned it on yet. It was an oily greasy mess when I got it but i could see its potential.

First pic is how it showed up
IMG_20150721_203504357_2_zpsr8fupnut.jpg

This is how it looks now, I spent one day power washing the hell out of it then the next day disassembling and taping it up for paint. Then sprayed it with red primer and machinery gray. will be doing some red highlights I think. This lathe might have a pretty cool back story, it has a tag from allis chalmers on it.
IMG_20150727_104749046_zpsr1np2lmj.jpg
IMG_20150727_104759066_zpsybuh8myg.jpg
IMG_20150727_104828350_zpspd6xtu9m.jpg

Here is a picture of the back side of the carriage, where I am missing one of the half nuts, if any of you know where to get a new one that would be appreciated.
IMG_20150727_104813202_zpsnsvje5js.jpg

Hi dcheff,

A few comments:
-drinking and bidding can be a dangerous combination.....but when someone else does it you can benefit ;)
-I'll take oily and greasy over rusted and seized any day!

This is how it looks now, I spent one day power washing the hell out of it then the next day disassembling and taping it up for paint. Then sprayed it with red primer and machinery gray.

-you need to slow down, you are making us (well me, at least) look bad. I have machines that need to wait years for that kind of attention!
-you have way too much free space in your shop!

But seriously, that looks like a helluva machine! That carriage would weigh more than my first lathe.
You've already made some great progress on it, I'd like to see more pictures as you progress.....and at this rate you may be making chips tomorrow.
I hope you can find(or make) the half-nut you need.

Is that a motor in the base? What HP/voltage/phase?

-brino

Brino,
I do not have much free space, 5000 sq feet and it looks like a junk yard, I just took a picture from the right angle, you know like fat girl angle shots as my brother calls them.

Yes the carriage weighs more than my first lathe also haha.

I have a buddy acccross the street who is a journeyman machinist, he (to me at least) knows it all, he will help me make the half nut if need be.

The motor I am not sure about, my buddy is coming by today to look at it and see if we can wire it to 480v, I believe it is set up for 240v now.

I have to get on stuff like this right away, if i do not it will just go into use and never get taken care of. I got a lot of help this weekend on it, three buddies came over and sat there drinking lots of beer watching me work on it lol.

Very nice score. My Godfather worked at Allis Chalmers for 30 some years. Mike

Heres some pictures of mine. Pre 1930 .
sidneylathe006Small.jpg sidneylathe008.jpg sidneylathe003.jpg sidneylathe011.jpg sidneylathe001.jpg
As you can see they share a lot in common But way different on some features.
*********Just Saying************Gator*************cartangrysj1.gif********************

Yes there are many similarities between them for sure. I have an entire bucket of tool holders like what you have on there, I am looking for a tool post now, im spoiled and used to quick change tool posts now. The one on my rockwell I think is to small for the real lathe.

I hope you thanked the guy you bought it off properly, perhaps you should buy him some more beer next time he heads north.

Yep to bad its missing a few pieces

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

and here is how it looks right now, in the process of putting the carriage and everything back on, hoping to have it under power in the next day or two.

IMG_20150728_193430579_zpsqnzmc1bu.jpg
IMG_20150728_193406425_zpsck3jtl7z.jpg
IMG_20150728_105021257_zpskunszf4l.jpg
IMG_20150728_104951951_zpsnlkwlgzn.jpg
IMG_20150728_100810742_zpsd7qpgu33.jpg

Back