Show me your DRO scale mounts please.

This is what I did on my little lathe 8 x 12 super cheap but works for this application

IMG_2646.JPG IMG_2647.JPG

amazing as to how many think a scale needs 1/2 bolts drilling and tapping as if they were towing a Mack truck. I epoxied mine thats the
end of that; going on two yrs now..still there and has not moved a bit...

You epoxied a mag or glass scale?

Bill

amazing as to how many think a scale needs 1/2 bolts drilling and tapping as if they were towing a Mack truck. I epoxied mine thats the
end of that; going on two yrs now..still there and has not moved a bit...

Im just using 5mm bolts. Epoxy? Really? :nuts:

Well, if it works for a seasoned machinist with a job shop I'm not calling him crazy. I used little allen cap head screws (8-32) for my scales and fabbed up the offset brackets I needed. I'm happy with it. I'm not calling names if the idea doesn't suit me. For something constructive I suggest you search the web. Start with the people that sold you the dro's. They have video for us slow folks. Other than that, use your imagination/ingenuity. You will see the shape you need and be able to measure the size it needs to be. As for hand drilling, suit yourself. I couldn't throw my bport column on the drill press to drill, so I know doing it by hand works. You have pieces small enough to drill with a machine. I would probably do it that way. Gives you a chance to clean and lube too. Good luck

Well, if it works for a seasoned machinist with a job shop I'm not calling him crazy. I used little allen cap head screws (8-32) for my scales and fabbed up the offset brackets I needed. I'm happy with it. I'm not calling names if the idea doesn't suit me. For something constructive I suggest you search the web. Start with the people that sold you the dro's. They have video for us slow folks. Other than that, use your imagination/ingenuity. You will see the shape you need and be able to measure the size it needs to be. As for hand drilling, suit yourself. I couldn't throw my bport column on the drill press to drill, so I know doing it by hand works. You have pieces small enough to drill with a machine. I would probably do it that way. Gives you a chance to clean and lube too. Good luck
I ment no disrespect. Just not what I would expect to see. I have been to the DRO Pros site and they have a lot of examples to see. Gives me the ideas how I will do mine.

They seem to be a great outfit to work with, so far so good. They for sure go above and beyond with videos and customer install pics.

Nothing wrong with epoxy. It holds jets together it can handle a scale. If you dont want to drill in your machine yet want bolt on... Drill and tap some flat alum. Epoxy the alum to the machine and screw the scale in the taped holes

You could always just use bailing wire and chewing gum. :lmao: (just joking)

Bill

on the cross feed on the lathe, I connected one end with a drilled through single screw and let the far end just hang out in the open. the reader on the scale pretty much holds up the rest of the scales as the scale moves thru it. . . simple as could be, works excellent for me. . . . . IMG_0449 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0449 (800x600).jpg

Back