Should my apron be full of oil?

You should have a gits oiler 90 degree to the left of the clutch knob. Fill it... With spindle oil A.

It's more like a reservoir than a sump. The worm gear and clutch "bathe" in the oil in the reservoir and via transfer, keep the worm oiled. A lot of felts originate in the reservoir to transport the oil where needed elsewhere. Type A oil wicks better than Type C, so use the Type A oil for the reservoir.
Sb 9 does not wick to anywhere else. Just the clutch and shaft for clutch.

Sb 9 does not wick to anywhere else. Just the clutch and shaft for clutch.

I have not taken mine fully apart yet, but all of my documentation says wicking is not an issue there. My information is not as diverse as the things you find on the interwebs (funny how that works), but my belief (based only on experience in non-lathe related fields) is that the lighter oil won't pick up up chips out of the reservoir as easily as a heavier one would. I'm guessing that's why (at least originally) it was called out that way. Basically, it allows "more of" the chips that fall into the apron to actually fall though the apron be better able to settle and stay settled.

In addition to my "lathe literature", I have the remnants of a "rebuild kit" still needs that some stuff put in, but it doesnt' document any wicks going into that sump either. One day I'll get that done.....

Back