Should I Need A Wrench Or Breaker Bar To Get These Out

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
I'm trying to take apart my new 4 inch Hommage vice to clean it, & I can not budge the two large socket head cap screws that I assume are holding the fixed jaw down. It looks like they come through the bottom of the vice and then screw into the bottom of the six jaw. I can't budget them with a 8 millimeter allen key.

Are they screwed in with so much torque that I need to use a ratchet? Do they normally have a specific torque setting that I should probably use a torque wrench when I put them back in?

1440215737551-1972019319.jpg

I just stripped and cleaned a Chinese 4" vise and didn't have any trouble with those screws. The big keys in the slots take the load. I'd try slipping a box-end wrench over the end of the allen key to get more length.

They cam out using the wrench for extra leverage, but tomorrow, I'll probably go guy a proper 3/8" drive ratchet bit.

Glad to hear they came out OK. I would recommend coating them with Anti-Seize before reinstalling them. Just in case you need to remove them on another occasion.

"Billy G"

Clad you got it out, And yes definitely buy more tools. In fact may as well get a whole set.:high 5:

Buy two sets! You never have enough..

Oh, make that four sets, two for metric and two for inch.

I keep a piece of 1/2" iron pipe in the drawer with my allen wrenches. Slips right over the wrench for extra leverage.

I use short pieces of hex stock old allen wrench, insert and few quick blows- taps (brass hammer), to unseat threads before trying to unscrew.

You're lucky. 8mm is so close to 5/16 inch that you can interchange the tools. The inch size Allen socket is probably easier to find in most locales.

Agreed. 3/8 drive is plenty big enough. Also buy yourself a "pull handle" that's longer than the standard ratchet.

Hope this helps.

Back