Should I Get This Manual Sheet Metal Notcher?

Well guys, I decided against the notcher, especially since I came across a deal I cannot resist. It defies logic to consider since I complain about space. Someone is selling equipment from a college that was bought last year, never used, and then the program that the machinery was to be used in got axed. He is willing to sell me a good condition Bridgeport 2J mill for $450.
All other prospective equipment buys are dropped now, and I am going to visit the machine tomorrow.
I officially have an obsessive compulsive machinery buying disorder..
I need help, lol.
Susan

From one machinery addict to another, I hope the purchase goes well! Remember - without pictures, it didn't happen! :p

From one machinery addict to another, I hope the purchase goes well! Remember - without pictures, it didn't happen! :p
Thank you Dabbler. If it goes through, I will definitely post pics, lol. I corrected my last msg. I will be visiting the machine Monday, not tomorrow.
Susan

Fyi, I accidentally typed that I was going to see the Bridgeport tomorrow. I should have typed Monday. After I see it, I will post pics. Now, I gotta read up on things to look for when buying a used milling machine.

Susan

Well, I saw the Bridgeport mill today. Here it is:
2019-01-28 17.55.44.jpg
No runout, sounded good, looked good. Turns out I was wrong. This mill wasn't at a college. It is at a private high school where a lot of the students are from very rich winery families (Sonama). Tuition is $49K per year. The school decided to get rid of the old ugly machines, like this Bridgeport since the kids wanted to work on pretty CNC machines. WTF?

Anyways, the facilities manager said that the school had the machine looked over by a machinist when they first bought the machine from my alma mater, San Jose State University, and then again last month before putting it up for sale. They were told the mill was good to go, and maybe could use some lithium grease on the table leadscrew.

Btw, I looked up the year of manufacture for this mill after seeing the serial #. This series 1 2J Bridgeport was made in 1976.

As for transporting the mill, I also turned to a business associate of my liquidator friend who runs a machinery transportation business. To drive to Santa Rosa (90 min drive each way from his Fremont location) pickup the mill with his forklift and flatbed truck, and with an assistant, he said it would cost me $400. He also told me to not worry about not having the money now, and I could just pay him later, whenever. I think he is being extra generous due to a case of yellow fever, but I could be wrong ;-)

As for the school selling the mill, I tried to give the facilities mgr half the money now, but he told me to just give him the full $450 later, when I have it, and to not worry since he could tell I really wanted the machine and he'll just hold it for me.

Wow. I think I really lucked out finding this mill.

Now, is anyone here interested in buying my 1976 Jet mill drill...?

Back