should I get it?

billsnogo

Active User
Registered
I have the chance to get a barely used Harbor Freight 7x10 Mini-lathe for $250 with no extras or tooling. I had thought about getting a 7x12 instead, but at this price I am not sure. What would you do.

ps
this would be my very first machining tool and have no idea how to tell the condition other than just looks as this will a learning tool. I will then need to find a mill next.

Just be aware that extras and tooling sometimes cost more than the lathe itself, it all depends what is on it now and what you plan on using it for, Sometimes you might not need all the extras. Make sure it is in good shape before you buy, the plastic gears in it seems to go quick, but metal ones are out there at tools for cheap I think. It would be a good starter lathe to learn on though. Most people grow out of the small lathe and go for a bigger one latter on. Power it up and run thru the functions, then go from there. I have not used one this small because I mainly want to have a option of running something bigger on it. Some people on this site use these and like it, but also have a bigger one too. Good luck,
Paul

I'm no expert, of course, but remember that you will be able to machine a smaller piece in a larger lathe, but not a larger piece in a smaller capacity lathe. So consider what is the largest work you will want to do on that machine.

Best,

Nelson

Sorry, should have said it comes with everything that you got from harbor freight, but no drill chuck, tools, cutters, ect. I might give it a shot, I need more expensive hobbies ::)

I'd get it. They go for $400 and up, so unless it's been badly abused, you'll get you money's worth out of it.

Thank you all. I am going to get it and use it as a learning tool. Hopefully I will not fail too badly at the beginning :eek:

When you get it, go through it just as if you were taking it out of the box. Assume nothing is adjusted correctly. You're going to have to learn to do it eventually (I just tore down the saddle on mine last night), and you'll want to know how to do it right. And you'll want to make sure all the wear surfaces are clean and lubed as well. Buy a tube of Permatex white lithium grease (less than 3 bucks). You'll need it.

Look at mini-lathe.com, and follow the advice there. Clean and lube it, then reassemble and adjust. When you get them done right, they can do wonderful work, but if they're off, you will become frustrated. Nothing worse than a loose carriage to mess up a part you just spent hours making.

Thank you all. I picked it up Friday, but things have been so hecktic, and still are going to be for another week, that I will not be able to get to cleaning it up. I will post pics later this week.

ps
thanks to the secret member who sent me some videos that will be a start for my education on this lathe ;D

It sounds like you have a bargin, Dont believe all the knockers of 7x? lathes most have never owned one.
Making chips is fun and a 7x? is a good place to start, or even to stay.
Always at hand if you want help on line. If you look at my photos you can see what I do on mine .
the big clock was all made on my 7x12.
looking forward to the pics.

BRIAN.

mnmh link=topic=1991.msg13749#msg13749 date=1305067274 said:
Have fun with it. It's a very good starter lathe. Actually it's a very good lathe period, for the money. It's what I got started on. ;)
I agree 100%. I got tired of wishing for a lathe and realized a 7x was my only option at the time. Any machine is better than NO machine! I have had mine over 10 years now and it's still going strong. It has produced some pretty impressive parts for it's size. Some of the most satisfying moments come from tweaking those machines to give them more capacity and accuracy as well. That's half the fun right there! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back