Shop temps and machine tools....

Unless your propane heater vents outside running it will introduce a fair amount of moisture into the air.
I use a combination of a oil filled radiator that I keep plugged in all the time and set to 55 degrees F. It keeps the chill off quite well.
When I’m in the shop I have two overhead electric radiant heaters. One is situated over the mill and lathe, the other over my tablesaw.
What kind of oil filled radiator do you use? I got thinking about the floor plan in my shop. My shop is 36'x48' but I have one 12'x36' bay walled off from the rest of the main shop. The larger main part has three overhead doors, and the smaller walled off section just has one exterior entry door and another entry door to walk into the main shop area. I think this smaller area would be perfect for my machines. I wouldn't have to worry if I had one of the overhead doors open in the larger main area, and heating the smaller section would be way easier. Matter of fact, in the smaller section I have a small 220 volt heater on the wall already. Both sections are well insulated and sheetrocked.

What kind of oil filled radiator do you use? I got thinking about the floor plan in my shop. My shop is 36'x48' but I have one 12'x36' bay walled off from the rest of the main shop. The larger main part has three overhead doors, and the smaller walled off section just has one exterior entry door and another entry door to walk into the main shop area. I think this smaller area would be perfect for my machines. I wouldn't have to worry if I had one of the overhead doors open in the larger main area, and heating the smaller section would be way easier. Matter of fact, in the smaller section I have a small 220 volt heater on the wall already. Both sections are well insulated and sheetrocked.
I have something pretty similar to this:

I keep a fan running that circulates the air, this and keeping things coated in oil, has helped to keep flash rust down. No AC and a lot of humidity at times.
Have thought about putting in a dehumidifier.

^^^ is the best advice!

I have something pretty similar to this:

If you use the shop every day then rust can't sneak up on you ;)

John
I do use my shop most days but it's usually in/out and off to work. I work in construction so it's go in, load truck, drive out. This is why I think keeping machines in the smaller partitioned off room would be best. No water from vehicles, no air from outside coming in when I open an overhead door.

A small heater and a small fan should be fine for your situation. Having a dedicated area for the shop will be great, I had to downsize from 2 - 2400 square ft buildings to a small one car garage so I'm definitely jealous of the space you've got....

John

In the winter, the residual heat from the water heater and some piping keeps the shop at 50
degrees or so since it is fairly well insulated. I have about 6 or 7 tons of machinery in the
shop and to warm up all that iron takes a while. If the shop starts out at 50 degrees, it takes
about 4 hours of constant running of the blower over the hot water radiator to get to 70 degrees.
The cold machines just suck up the heat or so it seems.

My shop here in western NY is in my basement and never gets below the mid to low 50's. I have a dehumidifier and a humidity meter and never need to run the dehumidifier in the winter, because the humidity is low this time of year. When it's warm out is when I have the problem and the dehumidifier runs pretty much non stop! Even up stairs in my house all the wood work shrinks up this time of the year because of the low humidity and I heat with total electric. But, in the summer, everything wood swells up big time!

I have a band saw blade welder and have a lot of Amish neighbors. I always warn them that if they run their band saws in very cold shops the blades are more likely to break. Metal becomes more brittle with lower temperatures.

If your shop is in the 50's I wouldn't be concerned if it were me. If you're down in the 30's then oil lubrication might be getting thick and there may be a little more concern, but I don't really think rust would be that big of a concern with low humidity.

Ted

I was out in my shop today and took a look at my free standing drill press table and column. This drill press has been out there for 25 years and it looks darn good still.

Back